Is it Illegal to Use Assets from Another Game for Research Purposes?

EULAS are usually written “designed” by LAWYERS and are usually in ACCORD with the LAW… EULAS are not FAIRY storrys… also in spain… you can’t do what you want even when it is spiritual / 3D content or software work…

And by the way, do you know the indie game “7 days to die” ? They did excatly what we are talking about, they used ripped content from a game and used it for they own purpose…
The holder of the content was so nice to write them “please don’t use our content anymore” it is illegal! But 7 days to die “inventors” simply didn’t react, cause they thought like you, yeah what could happen ?
Result… blocked on Steam and they got charged for multiple reasons of breaking the copyright law… they even didn’t ripped the content by them self “bought it online”.
After apologizing for using the copyright protected content, 7 days to die “inventors” stoped selling they’re game, cause they had fear of the court results… now they are or already have removed “stolen” content from they’re game.

And the same will happen in spain, wild wild west time is over, you can’t do what you want.
But i see you are unteachable so good luck, everyone has his own brain… For my part i’m ending discusson… cause i’m repeating myself already…

even happened recently with a free game, remember Flappy Bird? It used ripped content from Super Mario. The owner received a cease and desist letter from Nintendo informing him they would sue unless was pulled.

I believe he was receiving ad money for the game, but that wasn’t the reason Nintendo went after him, he used content from one of their games without permission, showing their brand in a negative light.

And what wrote above sums it up pretty well @knack, it’s all there in the wording of the law you posted.

Taken from knack’s post on the law:

Paraphrasing what Cube wrote:

Normal exploitation is specified by the EULA. Since ripping content is not allowed (as stated in the EULA), it therefore “conflicts with a normal exploitation of the program”, which means it is against the law.

I remember flappy bird but i didn’t know that they also violate the copyright by using ripped content, very interesting…
is absolutly right… ripping content is mostly not allowed by the EULA… And because EULAS are usually written by lawyers “like i wrote” in accord with the law, it is simply against the law…

Flappy Bird distribuited the content and use it without permiss that illegal, i think nobody doubt that lol and seems the same case of “7 days to die”

And that will happen in Spain of course. ITS ILLEGAL distribuited content that you not own the rights lol

if you rip the content and use in a product you released (non personal use) its clearly illegal.

My english its bad but i think i explicit say that its illegal in correct english :stuck_out_tongue:

The greatest part of EULAS try limited users rights illegally. Specially U.S EULAS in EU. And try skip illegally legislation such as the personal data protection. In europa are more restrictives. From Google to Microsft with all that lawers had problems with his illegal EULAS in europe. I can easy link to the storys, denounces and penaltys for illegal EULAS.

its common in EULAS write what they want, not what they legally can.

p.s: anyway if i remember right that topic begin because someone ask for someone to riped, and ask for someone for riped the content can be illegal because occurs a distribution, limited but exist, i don’t known if its valid illegal if both users have the game but can be easy illegal. Well be exact “ask ins’t illegal” but when you are a giving a asset to someone without the rights for give, you’re probably committing an unlawful. That not mean again rip content its illegal, mean what i saying on begin distribuited without permiss its illegal.

Thinking in that moderators perhaps not doing nothing wrong moderating things, ask something “how do I extract” from the point of view of legality its correct/legal (at least in my country) but “anyone can extract for me” easy can be illegal, because the final result its a illegal distribution or saying in other way , asking that its implicit you want someone distribuited that to you after extract/rip and commit something illegal.

Then in my opinion its correct banning question like “can anyone rip for me”, but not questions like “how do i rip”

Big companys especially movie or game are investing a lot of money to write they’re eulas which are aligned to the law in different countrys and are not just US conform.
However ones again, even in spain it is not allowed to rip content from software etc… My suggestion is, go to a lawyer in your country and simply ask about the consequences!

Just because it is allowed to rip movie or music content which you have bought “very limited” it doesn’t mean you can rip everything you want.
You can also rip dma protection within the eu without consequences… but again doesn’t mean you can do what you want. Every software, content, movie, music producer has copyrights, if they like to use them. And like i wrote, within the EU when buying software you are buying only the license to use it, nothing more. And is acceped by law and court.

However was really my last reply to thread :slight_smile: I see you have your own “vison” based on google research and however i respect that.
By the way we learned in the university from our profrssor, that customers these days, come all the time up with “but i have read on google that…” :slight_smile: But when it comes to court appointments and trouble they realize really really quickly … Oops… :slight_smile:

its legal rip, reverse engineering for personal use in my country and i think its in all europe (i not sure of that), sorry but you not have any idea of the law of my country.

I have interest in that thinks i reading alot of in my 20 years in internet, including judgments, that not mean “google” mean the official laws. I not a lawer but i read all laws of my country because i like known my rights. All laws mean, from criminal laws to copyright and intelectual property, labor right etc

Unlike in germany in my country its legal download/rip music and movies for personal use even if you not bought it. :slight_smile: (i known it about your country you known it about my country?) :wink: if i remember right in EU, only in france, germany and england its illegal downloading/rip music/movies.

and until year you can share it if there are not profit (music/movies only, software was illegal use/share)
year make share links to downloading music/movies illegal but they can’t judge for downloading for personal use just for link (again distribuiting its the word)

my vision ins’t for using google search its for read and known the law.

i have study law for 9 semesters, no offense but i think i know definitly more about law than you, even when talking about spain…
You seriously think downloading movies, music, games, ripping everything in spain is allowed ?
haha jesus, really no offense, but how old are you 12 ? ok talk is officially over for me… haha. However in germany it is punished hard by court!
Spain has less effective “local” laws againts piracy, thats true but it is still not legal! Because of that they even changed the “local” law in spain against piracy, which is
active since 01.01.2015

Don’t be suprised if one day “6am” the door bell rings, and they are like 10 masked police officers in front of you… :slight_smile:

and that makes you of course an expert :slight_smile: “my vision ins’t for using google search its for read and known the law”

You should read a bit about the latest news for “copyright” law in spain… you can start with news…

“Sports streaming site Wiziwig and torrent site Elitetorrent stopped linking to copyrighted material today.
Worried that they will face hefty fines under Spain’s new anti-piracy law, both sites have decided to throw in the towel.”

is because the last change year i mention in my last post, until 2015 web sharing links to movies and music was legal. and now linking copyrighter material illegal

Downloads in my country for personal use haven’t any legal punishement, and not only that its legal, am still, now we can’t share the link only. And its legal in a lot of countrys in europe

You haven’t no idea of laws:

://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_aspects_of_copyright_infringement#Spain

Germany have the more restrictives laws agains downloadfor personal use in europe.

anyway that its offtopic, stop here speaking about downloads and that things, have nothing to do with the topic. And speaking with someone who have clearly no idea and only say “as is, because i study 9 semesters” make my laught.

The point as to what is copyright is being over looked as to what is and what is not legal as to the individual.

The mandate of Copyright is to ensure that the owner of the rights in full they are only ones authorized to license the distribution of their “property” in a manner they deem fitting. There are no laws that says you as an individual are in violation of Copyright by downloading but you are in violation if you redistribute the works to others in full.

is common law in all countries and if one makes what they got available to tens and thousands of others they are in direct violation as a point of distribution.

The point is no one really cares what you have in hand but what you do with it once you have it.

P.S. and yes I have no idea as to law as it’s being changed at least once a day as Corporations invents new laws that benefits them as to filling in the loop holes.

No idea ? really? i alreday asked you, how old are you 12?
like you see everything is changing also in spain, also because of the EU and like i wrote Spain has less “local” laws for copyright but these are chnaging dramtic cause the wild wild west time is over…
But in one point you are right, is offtopic so bye.

And ins’t only in spain, its europa in general. I say before France, Germany and UK but France, revoke the law.

i have 36 years. i bet that its 20 year more than you. And downloading music for personal use since 20 years ago without problems :P, and defending my rights :wink: (less rights each year :frowning: )

of course. that correct in my opinion.

Again its the same i say on begin, redistribute without permiss its always ilegal, use for personal use not always.
OnTopic rip content from a game for personal ins’t illegal, redistribuite content its illegal. The concept for me its clearly.

Okay guys, let’s try and keep on topic and free of any personal attacks. It’s a very complex topic since every country has different ways of interpreting laws, so keep that in mind when responding. Without digging through each countries copyright laws it is difficult to say for sure what is and is not allowed. I am not directing at anyone in particular, just something to keep in mind. :slight_smile:

The fact that thread has 70+ replies in just a couple of days underscores how much confusion there is on .

Feel free to discuss or not, but let’s keep it professional. Thanks! :smiley:

alright, sorry if something sounds to drastic or offense but it’s always fun to discuss :slight_smile:

v=bPmVhyHBRAM :slight_smile:

No worries, it’s all good! I just wanted to make sure we kept the discussion on track and no one took offense. It’s been a great debate so far with a lot of good info!

Thanks guys! :smiley:

@Golding:

LOL yeah… it’s grown into quite a discussion! :slight_smile:

From the view of the law in Austria :slight_smile:

Upload / giving them to other people-> against the copyright
So when you give the assets to someone else or when you upload a project that contains those assets -> against the law (but when you get caught, you dont have to pay so much like in the US or Germany ^^)

**Download for personal use -> not clear if it is against the copyright, but a private copy is legal **
So when you just download the assets to learn from them without giving them to someone else -> legal

In most other countries it is like that :wink:

Download is mostly “ilegall” by law but tolaratet, even in Germany where they have strong copyright rules. If the “police” would catch you in germany, nothing will happen. The problem is when the owner complains against you Civil- law.
Whole lawyer offices are busy to setup servers with illegal content “in order of they’re clients” to catch people downloading.
In the most cases i’m talking here about the music industry, they go straight and hard to court and are complaining for compensation if you don’t pay the “lawyer warning fees/compensation”. is a really nasty business!
The most users even “really” didn’t know that torrents go in both sites, downloading and uplaoding but the holders and they’re lawyers of the music are using argument against them when it comes to court and that can cost you easily from
500 to 5000 Euro when caught the first time…

Personaly i think whole copyright subject is a bit overrated but where money is there is **** for more… Hollywood is complaing all the time because of illegal downloads and streaming but braking the same time, from year to year, from movie to movie
,new sales records… )

But like i wrote at the very beginning the problems usually start when sharing stuff… downloading and keeping stuff for learn purpose and watching movies online is for me “ethically” fine…

software have other laws compared with music/movies for private copy law, generally (in europa except in few countrys) still not illegal downloading but that fact not make nstall/use its without buy it legal. (its a excepcion in private copy law)

You can read a book, listen music or watch a movie and make personal copys, ins’t ilegal, but for install software you must buy it and have a license (generally one for each computer), not legally pursued (except in companys) mainly because its hard doing it legally its you use for personal use but ins’t legal play a game or use eg microsoft windows without own it, the same for rip content, you must have a legal copy for “play” with it in any way (personal use)

After buy, you can do whatever with the software (Rip, Mod, Inverse Engineer etc.) for personal use, again and always if you distribuited without permiss that content its illegal even if you buy it. You only have the rights for distribuited which are written in the EULA.

I once was an expert witness for a software copyright litigation case. From that I’ve got a few observations:

1. Even if YOU think it isn’t copying, the court has likely got a very different view. IANAL and all, but the lawyer who I was working with talked me through some example scenarios that WERE copying and I honestly was shocked to hear what was legally considered copying. INCLUDING copying your own code (i.e. write code for one employer, go to another employer, write the same code the same way and you can get sued).

2. The legal process isn’t about some silly idea of justice. Its about who has the most resources to be prepared to risk a legal battle. The whole thing is moot if you aren’t prepared to fight the legal battle (which if its joe schmoe vs EA is likely to be the case). So forget about what is legal or not. Think about if you would be prepared (and financially able) to fight the case in court? I suspect for the majority of us, the answer would be no.

3. Companies with money will spend it to destroy anyone threatening their livelihood.

My point being that no matter your view of what you THINK is right or wrong, you should consider the practical risks of being sued. If you reverse engineer a 3D model from some game and simply look at it without ever showing it to anyone, you’re very unlikely to get sued. But if you start showing it off? If you put it in your game? If you pretend its yours? Yes your chances of litigation increase greatly. BTW: It doesn’t matter that you do it for non-commercial usage, that might come under damages sought or reparations at the end of a trial, but ultimately you just got bankrupted trying to fight the legal case so its another moot point.

Long story short. Don’t EVER used copied stuff in games without clear and written documentation from the rights holder. EVER.

If you are working for a professional company, you need to be absolutely bullet proof on kind of thing. Because the company who was the defendant on the case I was witness for was a bit lazy (and by lazy I mean they didn’t scrub their backup disks properly) and it cost them over a million pounds in legal costs.

Don’t mess with the system. It isn’t on your side.