Introducing 3ds MAX to UE4 FBX and t3d Exporter MaxScript

This is great , something like this is invaluable for building larger scenes. Thanks for you hard work.

When I run script in Max, nothing happens. I have max 2014. Any idea?

Edit: figured it out after reading full tutorial. Thanks.

And here I was going to point you to the tutorial! Let me know how it works for you and if there’s anything that you’d like to see, suggestions, etc.

So far it’s working awesome. I was manually moving objects to origin before export and and undo-ing afterwards. You just made everyone’s life easier. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Ugh. I had been doing everything on layers stacked at 0,0,0. Equally oppressive :stuck_out_tongue:

This will be very useful!

For the copy transforms function, it would be great if there was a way to convert the units, either specifying or using the FBX settings. For example, our revit + 3dsmax model scale and UVs are in feet, so we convert to cm when we export to FBX. Thanks!

Now 3Ds Max LT for Unreal Engine must happend :smiley:

When I grab a bunch of objects and import. The first is imported at the correct scale, but all subsequent objects are at a different scale. Not sure what the issue is.

Does anyone know where the documentation for the sytax that unreal wants is? I assume that is how the scripts were made. I need to build something similar for Maya.

Awesome script! Thank you so much mate.

Greetings.

I have managed to properly import all the objects from my 3ds max scene to unreal but now I have to manually replace one by one (I imported an architectural scene…) all the editor cubes that your scripts creates with the objects that I have imported. Is there any script that does that automatically?

You should prolly modify the script so that it names the cubes for the name of the object in you scene that way it is easy to find but without really having any scripting in Unreal I’n not sure how this would work. I suppose you could hook up some kinda or replacement BP once all of the names match. The problem that I can get around would be that everything would revert back. There needs to be some kinda editor side actions or script or just a way to trigger Blueprints on editor side for doing things.

…also…I noticed that sometimes the objects that are imported by using the method that copies the locations, have wrong rotation and location. The size seems right, though. Any ideas or solution for this problem?

Thanks for your reply. I also thought to create a BP that does that but my technical skills are not enough…I think. But I have managed to replace many objects in my scene with this awesome script. The only problem is that sometimes the replaced meshes are not in the right location and their rotation is also wrong.

Select an object in UE4, move it, rotate it, and scale it a bit so that it has non-default transform values and then copy it, you can then paste to Notepad and see what the text format is for how the object is copied.

Greetings again. Don’t mind answering to my question. I figured out how to properly use this awesome script and import everything in my scene with a few clicks! Thanks again !

Thank you very very much… :cool:

It’s a great script but i have one issue with it.
If you have objects (and ucx collision for them) named like:

SM_Box
-UCX_SM_Box_01
-UCX_SM_Box_02

SM_BoxDoor
-UCX_SM_BoxDoor_01

and you select SM_Box for export it automatically adds both UCX_SM_Box objects and additionally adds UCX_SM_BoxDoor_01.

It’s probably cause by similar names of the objects. Is there a way to fix it?

and small request - ability to include SOCKETS_ as well for export :slight_smile:

There should be a proper FBX importer for UE4 rather than 3dsmax exporter. Unity loads all parts of a FBX without messing with pivot points. Additionally I tried to export with this tool, what I got when I import all FBX files was a lot bigger mess even before. I can’t even recognize the shape of the model I created.

Hi ,
The location copy part of your script is exactly what I am looking for, but I am having troubles getting it to work. The script is generating the list of locations, but when I paste into Unreal, only one cube is being placed. It is in the right location and correct rotation for one of the objects, but no others are coming in. Every time I try, only the object at the end of the list is being placed. Is there something I can change to allow all objects to be pasted into the level at once as shown in your video?