Instant Projected Weather

I would to :

1- tweak the normal effect of the snow
2- maybe even replace the snow texture with my own.

Any clue on the best way to do this please ?

Sorry for the delayed reply!
The normal decal is separate, its strength is determined by the blend to opacity value. Currently it is 0.45. You can adjust this, you will find it.
You can change the textures, but remember to use 4K, seamless images.
But I will add these settings in the next update. Itā€™s just now taking time away from the transition to UE5 and other, other projects.

No problem. I imagine your next upgrade will be for Ue5.

Iā€™m in the process converting my game from 4.27 to Ue5 as well.

Bit painful right now :wink: . Didnā€™t have time to test your stuff under Ue5 with Nanite actived everywhere. I have the huge City Sample (Matrix) installed so Iā€™ll give it a try a bit later. Will let you know how it goes since the whole city is nanite enabled.

It is possible, just remember to turn off the dbuffer decal option in the project settings. Although Iā€™ll try to adjust the program for different light settings, Iā€™m not sure if the final result will look good everywhere at the moment.
Still, it may snow in Matrix City :slight_smile:

1 Like

It working with DBuffer off but is it a workaround ? Epic seems to be using Dbuffer in most of his Ue5 projects ( samples) and itā€™s a usefull feature. Do you think eventually to be able to make it works with dbuffer ON ?

Unfortunately, this depends on EPIC. The decal reads the world normal from the dbuffer. So you cannot read and write it at the same time. In Unreal 5, there is a workaround where the material communicates the world normal to the decal, but again this has to be built into each material separately. This is not a viable path for us.
The advantage of the dbuffer decal, on the other hand, is most apparent in the built-in lighting. IPW, on the other hand, is specifically designed for dynamic lighting, where the difference is negligible.
However, it can be seen that the RVT system is being developed rather than the decal system, so I will look into the possibility of switching to the RVT system. For various technological reasons, the traditional texture model will not be sustainable for long anyway.
However, taking into account your two previous comments, I have had some time for development, so it will soon be possible to add textures and influence the strength of the normal one. (POM is not working properly yet :frowning: )

1 Like

How is your new ue5 development is going ? Still in the plan ?

Of course, we go further. For the time being, there will be some minor improvements and additions in the next version, because Epic has promised to improve the decal system for engine version 5.1.
A little patience for this one too, Iā€™m pretty much done with it, but unfortunately I had to change machines because UE5 was very slow on the older i7 configuration.

1 Like

i did some research and didnā€™t find anything on what is 5.1 expected release date. Maybe you have more infos than me.

Unfortunately, no. The current version seems to need a lot of improvements before they can move forward.
That said, minor improvements are being made to IPW in the meantime. Most of these are already done, but due to my workload at the moment, I have not been able to finish them completely.

5.1 is now on a workable stage. Whatā€™s your plan to update it to ue5 ?

Of course. When the final version comes out, there will be an update.

5.1 is now officially released :slight_smile:

Hi. Does this asset work with VR settings such as forward rendering, instanced stereo, and MSAA?

I have not tested with MSAA. I only have an old Occulus, it worked.
After the upcoming version update I will test it on different operating systems and different devices.
(The code is currently running with the 5.1 engine, but the official update will be released with the IPW update.)

Before you ask, we will release the next version soon, but we have a lot of work of a different nature. I hope we will have enough time to finally release the next update by Christmas at the latest. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thank you

Hello, I was wondering if any progress has been made when it comes to the issues with
UE5?

The development of the decals has not been done, unfortunately the deferred decals option still needs to be turned off in the whole project. Letā€™s hope they will fix it, I saw some promising things in the engine code. But the program wouldnā€™t work with the burned in lighting anyway.
For rain, Iā€™ll check the new niagara improvements, maybe it can be fixed for translucency ray tracing.
However, there are other exciting perspectives worth further development, Iā€™m looking into these.

Your work looks very good! There is one question.

Does it work with Voxel Landscape?