Instant Photorealism

I like how megascans, unreal, UDS for example can get you 99% to photoreal but there’s this 1% missing imo and I’m trying to bridge this gap with micro shadows, AO and solid post process settings.
Detailed comparison over here using the Electric Dreams Env: Instant Photorealism - Imgsli
Would love to hear some feedback!

4 Likes

Hi there @WouterWeynants,

Hope you’re well and having a terrific week so far.

What a beautiful environment. The water puddle, foliage detail, and lighting elements are nothing short of absolutely gorgeous. The only feedback I can really throw your way is keep doing what you’re doing. It’s clearly working :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to share your art!

I’m glad you like it but this is simply a demo environment I’m testing some settings in, not my own 3D scene!

Quick update:

I got some more comparisons now and am turning it into a single BP system:

2 Likes

Mate, this is amazing! I’m not sure exactly what you changed, but the result is super sharp. I’ve been struggling with the Electric Dreams ENV scene to achieve this level of sharpening. I realized that when I imported some high-quality 3D scans, the maps seemed rather shabby and blurry, even though I could see them in much better quality in Max or Marmoset Toolbag. I’m talking about scans with, for example, 5x8k textures, not some low-resolution quality.

Your approach to the greenery and rocks is really nice. I’m not sure if it applies to the character and the car; for me, it seems a bit too contrasted. Nevertheless, I’m glad that somebody is delving into this because this scene, in particular, is well-made, and I think it could still be updated or extended with the community’s input.

I would also be glad if you could share your approach or maybe create a video about it. I’m wondering if it’s only about some changed parameters in the DefaultEngine.ini file? Thanks!

That is really nice to hear, thank you! I made 5 post process materials and have curated post process settings, that’s all it took. No ini changes or anything. I tried putting this as a asset pack on the marketplace, a drag and drop BP with configurable settings etc:

But it already got declined because it is “easily reproducible” and “not enough content” to warrant a full pack… I personally disagree. This is hand-crafted and curated to a level that’s not at all trivial to achieve, takes a trained eye and A LONG time to calibrate and learn…

See the above image for the kind of post process passes I’m layering and changes I’m doing to get an idea.

Might retry the marketplace submission or just put it online for free somewhere. I mean I agree it’s not a lot of content but it sure makes a difference.

2 Likes

That’s quite frustrating not being able to upload it to the Epic Games marketplace. I tried searching for these settings, but I only found the sharpen option in the PP volume. I believe many others, like myself, would be extremely grateful if they could download the BP somewhere and experiment with this amazing setup.

Perhaps consider using ArtStation, you can set a symbolic price for it, and it might go through smoother than Epic. Regardless, I want to express my gratitude for your work and patience. I truly appreciate it.
I will try to find those settings to enhance the quality of my scenes. Many new ideas are on the horizon, so there’s still much to discover and improve in terms of the realistic approach. Thanks!

Wow, I’m blown away by how much this elevates the realism of the scene! What you’ve accomplished is extraordinary. Would be thrilled if you found a way to publish the BP!