Inside Unreal: Water System Deep Dive

Will you talk anything about the VR support of this feature?

Excellent presentation. Good to see, that that “Decoupling from Landscape” topic is on the list, this was one of my basic misunderstandings first, but things are getting much clearer now. Thanks a lot for the tips, also the “water with no landscape” looks very interesting. Makes fun to play with this system.

Thanks for the video - using the water system is pretty ■■■■ cool, mostly works out of the box and it looks amazing.

I would like to see a sample boat asset included - even a 3 x 6 plane, which floats properly, and reacts properly to the water.

Can you detail it please?
I have world composition setup and tried this trick if we mean the same, adding water brush manager, but it showed up with null RT textures and still no water rendered.

EPIC \ Unreal
Pretty please start making your background site colors optional. The white backgrounds are brutal!!!
Thank you:)

I miss the Live broadcast,where can i watch the video?I realy need it.

+1 to getting it working with world composition

I think this is the live stream uploaded to youtube (I was also looking for it):

I have been waiting for the interactive water/ripple feature in 4.26 after seeing this video preview,
which makes it look really easy to use: https://youtu.be/d5Ft7UaYayM?t=1894

However, I just can’t get it to work like it does in the video.

I attempted the steps above (and other combinations), but still can’t get the BP_FluidSim to work.

Also, there’s a map(level) called ‘Fluidsim_Terrain’ in the \Plugin_Content folder:
UE_4.26/Engine/Plugins/Experimental/Water/Content/FluidSimulation/Fluidsim_Terrain.umap

Unfortunately, it doesn’t do anything, so perhaps the WIP shown in the video has been omitted from 4.26?
(I did a [verify] on my 4.26 installation just in case anything was missing, but it didn’t resolve anything.)

Has anyone had any success with BP_FluidSim?

I might have figured this out. It seems to be a reference issue with FoamRT. It’s a render target file that was in the project files for the beach scene. I don’t know if this will solve your issue but it fixed Ripple Solver for me.

The landscape I’m working on has cliffs and hence I’ve set the falloff width on the ocean to Zero and placed the spline inside the cliff. This works fine giving a nice effect along the cliff edge. The Ocean comes up to the cliff and does not carve the landscape. However if I add another water actor such as a lake or river the Ocean actor carves the landscape back to its spline shape. Any thoughts on how to deal with this? The two image below show the effect. In the second I dragged in a lake and the ocean collapses to its spline,

](filedata/fetch?id=1862398&d=1613319834)

1 Like

I’ve been having the same problem - I can’t seem to get the fluid sims to work, either in my map or in the example levels. Have you been able to figure out something that works?

Try Water Heightmap Settings > Blendmode: max

I went into the Beach Foam Material Function and relinked up NearShore Foam then I added a BP_Dynamic_Force_Component to my world and then foam worked!

Yes (at least for my situation), but I think it may be the general cause of the FluidSim ripples not working.

See sanford87’s tip here:
https://answers.unrealengine.com/que…esnt-work.html

Hopefully it also solves your problem.