Input Action And Axis Mappings

its explained here though: Input | Unreal Engine Documentation no need for hair pulling :slight_smile:

and it also makes perfect sense, because you really dont want multiple places where input is handled at the same timeā€¦just imagine a shooter where you get an onscreen message where you dont want to shoot when clicking a buttonā€¦as explained in the doc only the latest activated input handler ā€œconsumesā€ the input event.
im not quite sure what youā€™re trying to achieve, but the way i would approach it if really needed is, collecting the input in ONE place (e.g. the player controller) and then execute the other logic from there through either function calls on its instance or via interfacesā€¦

It was mostly for debug purposes, get my character to move the camera, while the level blue prints also use it to print out the values to a text render.

I needed a text render because I was debugging an oculus only issue I ran into.

Is there a way to create a custom button (mobile) and have it return an axis value? I canā€™t figure out how to get the engine to check every tick which gives the continuous animation movement like you get when using an axis value.

In the bindings options, it allows for the option to hold ctrl, alt, or the cmd keys, however, when doing the same for a gamepad, is there a way to set a ā€œleft bumper must be pressedā€?

For example, I want the 4 face buttons to do things, and if the player holds down the left bumper, the face keys will perform different actions. This would be when the player is in combat. When the player is out of combat, the bumper and face buttons perform other actions :frowning:

I know, this is turning out to be a bloody mess :

edit: I know it can be done in blueprints/code, but another issue would be player-remapping of the controls >.<

Iā€™ve been having trouble adding Axis Config data in C++ code. Iā€™ve found that BaseInput.ini has +AxisConfig entries where I can add it, but I need to be able to add it programmatically. The best that I can figure is to do this with the SetAxisProperties function in PlayerInput, but donā€™t know where I would do this and donā€™t have any examples. What is an example of doing this? What sort of guidance can help with setting up Axis Config data?

what is the best official, proper way to control the flow of a moveForward inputaxis? Should moveForward inputAxis be on the pawn or the playerController?

That is arbitrary, but I put mine in the pawn, since the player shouldnā€™t be able to control input while dead.

Hello Marc Audy,
I met a situation that not easy to be done in current axis mapping system. I develop one game on mobile device. When user pressed finger on screen then move the finger to whatever direction on screen, the camera will rotate to the same direction as the finger moving. Similar function as InputAxis Turn event, but the editor links to MouseX and MouseY. But i want a similar axis mapping event linking to finger pressed and move.

Can you help me? Thank you so much

Hi I was wondering if thereā€™s any way to migrate Engine Input Bindings out to another project?

Also, if I want my source control .gitignore file to exclude everything but the input ( input.ini inside the Intermediate/Config folder? ), is that all it would take to be able to save/pull the input bindings to a repo project?

Currently I can successfully create a repo from a working project and pull it on another machine. But since Iā€™m excluding the Intermediate folder, it loses all the bindings.

Thanks!

I beleive that is Config/DefaultInput.ini

How can one manage which type of input is currently being used? For example if you had keyboard, mouse, and/or gamepad all connected how to display the correct input control messages on screen. And is how do we tell if oculus or vive because get key isgamepad or ismousebutton or iskeyboard are the only options.

They probably will be detected in the following order: keyboard + mouse and THEN gamepad.

I read the pertinent line over and over;

ā€œIn Blueprints you can place an Axis or Action Event node from the Input section of the context menu or palette of any Actor blueprint.ā€

Youā€™d think they would mention, YOU NEED TO CREATE YOUR ACTION OR AXIS EVENT, IN THE INPUT PANEL OF PROJECT SETTINGS FIRST, FOR IT TO EVEN SHOW UP IN THE INPUT SECTION OF THE CONTEXT MENU!

literally 11 lines above: ā€œAlright, these sound great. How do I set them up?
"
In the Input section of Engine Project Settings you can see the list of existing mappings and create new onesā€
seems logical that you canā€™t use something that hasnā€™t been set up yet.