Ideas and concepts and patents and copyright

Hi tozan,

Blueprints are capable of quite a bit. Both Bierzerkers and Into the Sky are primarily being made from blueprints, so don’t count them out yet! I’m actually not entirely certain why so many have trouble with blueprints, as I have yet to reach a scenario where something that I am attempting to do simply isn’t capable of being done in the blueprint system. They are quite capable of running a full branching dialog system, I did a proof of concept tutorial a few months ago on the subject:

It is fully functional, though to be honest I would highly recommend pulling data from a csv table as opposed to trying to run the selector system through blueprint variables as I did. The purpose of this tutorial was to show that it was possible to create an array of arrays and switch between them efficiently without outside resources, not that it was the most efficient solution to create dialogue systems with. You can utilize csv tables through blueprints to create a system in which the bulk of the data is located in your csv file, and the functionality in the engine is simply pulling the information that you tell it to. The difficult part is setting up how it pulls the information, once you get that done you can alter the parameters to fit your needs without having to worry about re-writing the code for each and every instance.

In most cases, the limit of how much data can be used/stored is not directly related to the engine, but to the hardware running it. 60,000 lines of text should not be hindered by the engine, but if it is being run with 4gb of RAM and a dx10 card, it will potentially run into problems functioning correctly.