I need this question to be answered by official game developers, who carry years worth of experience

Just one last thing, talking about small games to develop and practise on so we could atleast have the skills required to create the game we want which in this case is a game like mirrors edge, what do you guys suggest we start working on?

Make a simple goal and work towards that. “Move around”, “Interact with a box”, “climb a ladder” are all stuff that can be quite a challenge.
If the task is too hard, break it down into simpler stuff and start with one of those. Repeat if needed.

Most people here who show of an awesome nature scene has probably already created 50 other natures scenes before that. Most that have created a good game mod have made many terrible ones before that.

PS: 3D Games is possibly one of the hardest things to work with. It combines so many different skills and require a lot of talent.
This will take a lot of time, and you will fail most of the time. But if you keep pushing you will eventually start to make something that isn’t completely ****. Dream big, but adjust your current goal to reality.

Thx alot m8, but see, our goal is to create a platforming game like mirrors edge(parkour) so for our first project shoud we create a small extremly small 3d game that involves walking and sprinting and all that?(((((((IMPORTANT: iam thinking of a game like templs run or subway surfers or something like that but a bit more advanced?

It can be something like that. My recommendation would be not to just create little prototypes of things like sprinting and climbing, but actually try finishing a project right from start to finish. You’ll be surprised how much effort is required to turn even a simple game into a polished product complete with menu system, proper start and end game functionality etc.

It will also give you a taste for how to design a game properly, rather than randomly adding features as you go along. While good ideas can come from experimentation, it’s not a good way to design a full game.

Starting with a grand project having no prior experience is generally a bad idea, in gamedev or otherwise.
There are exceptional cases. I mean, really rare, once-in-a-century Leonardo da Vinci type cases. Assuming you’re an exceptional case is also generally a bad idea, though. Judging by your post, I personally wouldn’t assume that. I’ve been known to be wrong, though. Just like everyone else on this board. Just like yourself, I presume. Then again… I hope you get the idea :slight_smile:
And finally, if you think you can pull off a grand project, and everyone’s telling you that you can’t and shouldn’t, and you have your doubts, then do a small project first. If you really are exceptional and can pull the grand thing off, then surely you can make, say, Tetris in a few days, right?
If you can, then you can probably publish it on AppStore, right?
How about you do that, and repost this question when you do that - then there will be one objective data point that both you and us (the experienced game devs you seek the answer from) can agree on.
Before you do that, I’m afraid there simply isn’t much data for us to go on.
Source: 13 years of game dev experience.

Working towards a “grand” game myself, although, I am breaking it up into much, much, much smaller pieces. Hopefully in a few years time all of those pieces will come together. It helps to have a game design document, so it’s not just random pieces, along with a personal trello board of things to accomplish. Moral of the story: Don’t try to create this huge game and expect to make it big. Take your time and know your limitations. You don’t need to make a “AAA Title” to garnish much attention, or make millions. For example: Flappy Bird.

I guess it is a question of what keeps you enthusiastic. That, more than anything else, is what it is important.

Although I hear someone holding a gun to your head also works.

I don’t know if I agree with a lot of people, I have seen small groups create amazing things. it is all about your determination and work ethic, are you going to get tired? sure , are you going to get burnt out? of course. but are you going to continue even after that happens? that is on you.

I hate when people tell other people they can or can not achieve something whether it be a gta 5 game with 2 people or the enxt super mario bros with 78 people, its possible and depends completely on you. I seen a really nice rpg made by 2 people that was amazing and big at the 6 month mark. so everyone telling you its impossible , maybe it is impossible for them. just no it takes determination and discipline.

maybe you dont have a job and you and your friends can spend 18 hours a day doing it, in a year you can have somethng nice to maybe get fund raised to then build your team a good bit if not you can have it done in 4 or 5 years.

I have been constantly told I won’t be able to do what I am setting out to do yet I am doing it. if you let other people guide what you are capable of achieving you will never achieve anything bro.

Do what makes you happy and stop listening to people claiming impossible

To make a statement about what Uprentiss said, take a small game called Dark Age of Camelot. It was originally designed and created by 6 people with no experience in the gaming industry… and it changed the entire way we look at PVP today. Granted, they sold their souls to EA… but… yea.

lol exactly though you know