Howto fix: circular references

I understand that the information is conflicting, in two forum threads concerning this, both staff members claim that the engine is working as intended.

1Thread

“Our UI team intends for UMG to work like that”
Staff Member Alexander Paschall

2Thread

“The Engine is working as intended”
Staff Member Triplett

But on the Unreal Wiki, it clearly states as you showed that this could be problematic.
At this point, it may be worth sending a message to either of these staff members, especially if you are experiencing bugs/crashes. I linked to their profiles for you to easily track them. If you do contact them, it may be worth mentioning the Wiki page, perhaps the information needs to be slightly changed?

Have you tried using the Automation Tool to check for warnigs/errors inside of your blueprint?

“As for the effects of this particular issue, this is also unclear.”
He points out that the compiling loop is due to a circular reference but never accuses it of being a bug/error causing system. I guess we will have to wait and see for your project.

Blueprints have a long way to go, I am sure, but all(almost) blueprint projects have not become unstable guys :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re right. I added the word “possibly” to the sentence now.

UE4 is a strong 3D engine when it works, plus the license looks really nice. BUT, I use UE4 now for about 2 weeks. About 70% of the time went to debugging bugs caused by the engine (not by me), crashes, or corrupted blueprints or silly undocumented things like loops connected to the result of a function don’t terminate the actual function (like in every other programming language in the world). They forgot to mention that in the documentation as if it was ‘logical behavior’… Things like that. And then you have the missing features like “no level-streaming for dynamically generated levels” or no build-in node for incrementing a variable by a specific amount.

Yes I might just be unlucky and it may work perfectly for you folks. And the engine itself is fantastic, when it works. They fixed a lot of bugs between 4.6.1 and 4.7. But still, I don’t exaggerate when I say: “not one single day went by without seeing a bug or crash from the engine”

Or in one sentence:
It’s usually hard&time-consuming enough to debug my own project, I don’t want to debug the engine as well.

Hi Napoleon, I’ve also spent days trying to understand and fix those circular references problems and it’s a nightmare for me! I cannot understand how anyone not have a problem with it.

I’m making a simple pickup system with containers and items and obviously a container needs to know the items attached to it and items need to reference their container.

But it’s nearly impossible to do such a simple thing because of this circular reference problem.

Epic staff answers are really frightening because it seems normal for them!
But I know there is some dirty bugs behind it because in my case I need to compile my blueprints in a certain order otherwise it doesn’t work as intended.

Do you have more info from Epic staff or did you found a workaround?

This issue (among others) has been reported as a bug. You can only wait. There is no known work-around. But circular references do not always cause side-effects so it is not always a problem.

However, like I said in the other topic: because of the huge amount of bugs in this engine related to blueprints, I stopped using UE4 for now and switched to another engine instead. UE4 is just not stable enough for me to use yet. Every hour I find at least one new bug that causes damage to my project. It’s too much. UE4 is probably fine for C++ though.