How Well Can This Custom PC Run UE4?

Yeah, I have the QPAD QH-90* looks smug :slight_smile:

*These are the originals that Kingston rebadged.

I’ve actually run out of memory trying to build games on my 8gb machine - it’s not enough by default (I’m sure there are config files I can change to prevent this - I dont have this at all on my 12gb machine)

Nice chip tho, been thinking about that one myself - I heard on a stream though that more cores doesn’t help Unreal but higher clock speed does (Itd be nice if i could find more info about that) I’m split between the i7-4790K 4GHz chip or the chip you have for my next machine

More cores most certainly help unreal a lot, when compiling shaders or code.

I had 8 gb of ram in my machine, and i found myself allways hitting it with UE4 + visual studio. I had to get another 8 gb so i can use both properly. Rest of the build is fine.

This isn’t true at all. Maybe it depends on how complex your game is, but if you’re making a fairly simple game with blueprints, 8gb is absolutely fine.

I have an i7 4790k 4ghz and 8GB DDR3 1600 and a 560 gtx and the engine runs extremely fast. I can have multiple programs open, including games like Dota, StarCraft, Counter-Strike, etc.

Before I upgraded, I had an AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz with 4gb ddr 1333 and Unreal Engine ran fine with that too, even below the minimum requirements.

However, even with my new system, the editor takes a while to open, so more ram could help in that regard. I think a solid state would help more though. And trying to program in C++ is just a nightmare. It takes forever to load everything in Visual Studio and it’s why I kind of abandoned UE4 and I’m using Unity now. Unity is not bogged down the way UE4 is. It runs flawlessly on my computer. I can open a file in Visual Studio and it loads instantly and compiles instantly. Just wish this wasn’t such a problem with UE4, because I would definitely use it over Unity if the C++ development side of it wasn’t so slow and demanding.

^^ For compiling shaders/code and building lightmass more cores definitely helps (as does the speed of those cores).
But for ‘in-game’ stuff there won’t be so much benefit to having more cores.

Games like Dota, StarCraft and Counter-Strike doesn’t really use much RAM at all, way less than many heavy game development softwares. But it all depends on your project and what your work flow is. I would never be able to work on our project with 8gb RAM. That would require me to turn off all heavy softwares as soon as I need to switch, which is a big waste of time.
More Ram doesn’t speed up anything though, the only time more ram will make you load something faster is if you simply have so little that windows start using a page file, which essentially makes a part of your hard drive act as ram, which is waaaay slower.

Just edited my original post on RAM usage, as it seems with more complicated and larger maps RAM will be eaten quickly during builds,
All 16GB used on the landscape_mountain lighting rebuild.

So if you have 4 slots (dam my choice of a mini-itx) then 8GB sticks seem a good compromise, going with 16 first, and an upgrade later if needed.

Tempering to get a new system too.

Do you guys think it is worth to even go for DDR4 ram with a X99 motherboard?

I don’t think you have a choice otherwise, but the options aren’t that much more expensive than the DDR3 1600. I haven’t seen tests but I would guess it should offer a noticeable improvement, in general loading programs should be faster.

I have i5 2400 with 8GB and R9 270 but still runs fine.