How to use a large map without a landscape

So, if I understand correctly, - you think, its better to have relative positions for the border meshes in the actor. These distances are much closer to the point of origin instead of positioning the meshes in the absolute world location with large distances to 0,0,0.

Thats what @AleMarcati say to prevent bugs or crazier things. Iam right?

Well if you set other kind of possitioning since now the possitions are not relative to the actor but on a global level, you may get sometimes your meshes out of place.

So you need to transform world position to local, and it’s in the local space where you set relative.

It happened before, because it is not properly sometimes managing to set the positions in a correct manner. So this is why you have to transform to local. If it’s local relative then you will never get this kind of problems, I have been reading and sometimes you can get things out of place if there is no transformation.

Makes sense, since the actor should be the main point of origin and the object meshes calculate it’s distance from this point of origin, this way you don’t get distortions. This is how it should be done I think not to have problems, since the meshes are part of the actor and should be considered relative to the actor, not to world space, they first belong to the actor since they are part of it and then to world space, and then you just move the actor around, and the meshes move with the actor and stay set how they were set relative to the actor.

So they are part of the actor and the actor moves everything for you, in your case they don’t move, but you can still have mismatch and you may get them out of place

I’m not trying to be full of it, lol. Just trying to help. I had to find out how it’s done too.

So if you set it otherwise on absolute possitioning like you said, then at times your meshes could have strange positions to eachother and get out of place, because they have not been transformed.

Consider this, you move the main actor, the 4 walls move simetrical with the actor if you have relative local space , they are tied to the actor, you set absolute and you move the actor you may get distortions, because they don’t have an idea about the point of origin to the actor. So this point is in the middle of the map, and the walls are tied to this actor point, ankored to it, they would never get out of place, but if they are not they can fluctuate from the actor and you may get strange positions at times.

Relative space is just they know how far are they from the actor main point and they will stay locked like that if you transform to local space from world space and set relative, then transform back to world.

That won’t really solve the issue because when the player gets far away from the origin he will experience bug in the player location (as the player location is global).
I believe the ‘correct’ way to solve this is using level streaming, but I don’t have any experience with that.

The player is not part of this actor, why would it ? The actor has it’s world location and the player his.
They know of eachother as individual actors, objects.

So why don’t you just try, you should try to bring them with an actor. Your 4 meshes, or whatever the border looks like, square, cilidrical, and see.

Have you tried ?

Yea, i must do some tests for that. I also think about another workaround. If i move the meshes and not the player. This way i wouldnt have any issues, because the distances are relative close. The only problem is, that i must define, wich part of meshes are visible (like world composition). So i would have 9 parts visible around the player. If i want move the player, i move only the parts around the player and switch between the parts - wich are visible/invisible…

That is like watching a movie dude.
It’s the Tv that moves not you.

xD yes

The car is not moving lol

The Best Home VR Racing Simulator You Can Buy? - Carfection - YouTube

Yes, exactly :smiley: Also my chair. Thats so strange, iam sitting here and nothing is moving xD

you brighten my day :grin:
But I don’t think you want to do that.

Nah i will give it a try with placing some actors, inside the meshes with relative locations and let the player move and check if its working this way. For the moment i need some time to create the meshes with vertex colors for the textures.

First, i was thinking about a big landscape with world composition, but i got problems with painting the textures. Because the landscape would be very large and if i understand it correctly - more components in the terrain are much more expensive.

Of course the player is not part of this actor. What are you talking about? The issue is that when the player gets far away from world origin the engine loses a lot of precision on the player’s location, creating bugs. The farther away from the origin, the crazier it will get.

That is the point the walls form the origin, they are relative to origin of the actor and are part of it, they know how far they are from it since they have been transformed from world location to local space. The character is now in this big actor that has walls, he is actually inside the actor that has boundries defined.

He should just try.

My character is only a camera. I dont need a skeletal mesh or something. Its only an actor with a camera. The player can only move forward and rotate on yaw axis.

Well if you view things from 3d person he moves around inside your box.

Setting relative is setting boundries to actor original point, the boundries of the actor are relative points and they represent the outer part of the actor.

So if you set it like this you are actually setting boundries on how far the actor extends.
This reminds me of the Trueman show, where he reaches a wall painted with the sky after going thru the ocean.

Check it Neo
“Over the wall” illustration from The Truman Show - YouTube

Relative positioning lol.

Okay man you do what you think it’s best for you

Haha xD Thank you. I will try that.

Doesn’t make sense…
The issue is that floats have a limited number of digits. So when you go from 1cm to 10cm, you lose a decimal place. When you go from 10cm to 100cm you lose one more decimal place. And so on.
Each decimal place you lose is a little less precision you have.
When you get to very large numbers, you lose a considerable amount of decimal places, making it very imprecise. 10km is 1 million cm. That means 7 decimal places lost.
The farther away the player character is from the origin, the less precision there will be to his location, creating precision errors, making the character’s location go crazy. The farther away the character is from the origin, the crazier (buggier) it will get.

I understand alemarcati but the outer eges are part of the origin, they are relative points of the origin.
His character will not go over the wall and get further away, maybe then.

So to set things you have to set boundries, that is how all games do it, these boundries are tied to a point and are part of it. The 4 walls are tied to this point, extended from it in local space.

It’s okay he can do as he wants and see results, can do relative, global and so on, he should try.

Let’s say you have a sea vesel and you tie your ship down to the docks where the port is, but you extend a rope to it and the ship just stays ankored to the rope tho it has the rope that it is long.
The docks are the point of origin and the rope is the extension while the ship represents the outer edge, in his case the wall.

The wall and the ship are one because of the rope extended between them.

It’s interesting to talk about these things, he could try different things and see results, try this, try that and see it for his self.