How to setup Remote Build?

oh dang I was stuck for hours! finally by removing the path to delta copy it finally worked Thanks!!! :slight_smile:

someone could help me with this issue of remote build, I’m going crazy trying to configure the rsync and delta copy, plus there is no clear documentation on this subject, what you find is very fragmented, please help me.

FacePalm.exe, can you help me

What specific issues are you running into?

Only saying “Halp!” isn’t enough information for me to help you out.

Could you communicate with me via mail?

sebas-parra-20@hotmail.com

Anyone else experiencing similar ERROR in remote build with 4.21 ?
ERROR: Unable to determine home directory for remote user

i cant type in the cmd window while generating ssh key for remote build
can you help

Facepalm.exe I’ve exhausted my search in this problem I am having and you seem to be the only one confident in this area. I have followed instructions and continue to get ssh: connect to host a1011.local port 22: Connection timed out can you help me? ASAP please and thank you

@Mgawad - Same in 4.22. Remote build worked perfectly for me in 4.20, I upgraded my code project to 4.22 and now I can’t build for iOS.

Can you paste the ‘SSH output’ you’re getting after the “Unable to determine home directory for remote user” message?
There were some minor directory changes made in:

\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\ToolChain\RemoteMac.cs

Which could be causing the issue.
I’d need more info to figure out what exactly is going wrong.

@Facepalm.exe hey man, I was able to get mine working again. Rebuilt a new virtual environment with the latest OSX version, and latest Xcode. Installed certs, etc…and was up and running again.

I’m getting this same error in 4.22

Followed every possible solution above without any success

LogPlayLevel:   [Remote] Using remote server 'MBP.local' on port 22 (user 'hax0r-MBP')
LogPlayLevel:   [Remote] Using private key at C:\Users\hax0r\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\UnrealBuildTool\SSHKeys\MBP.local\hax0r-MBP\RemoteToolChainPrivate.key
**LogPlayLevel: Error:   ERROR: Unable to determine home directory for remote user. SSH output:
LogPlayLevel:            Host key verification failed.**
LogPlayLevel: Took 0.7669667s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5
LogPlayLevel: Error: ERROR: UnrealBuildTool failed. See log for more details. (C:\Users\hax0r\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.22\UBT-FuzzyFuzzyCute-IOS-Development.txt)
LogPlayLevel:        (see C:\Users\hax0r\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.22\Log.txt for full exception trace)
LogPlayLevel: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=5 (5)

Check out: How to fix the error “host key verification failed” – The Geek Diary

NOTE: On Windows:

/home/user01/.ssh/known_hosts

is equivalent to

C:\Users\user01\.ssh\known_hosts

I’m fairly certain at this point this is an engine bug. I can remote in just fine from git-bash. It only fails when Unreal AutomationTool attempts the connection. Any other thoughts?

It’s quite possible they’re doing something funky with the actual SSH connection.

All I could really recommend is digging into their code and figuring out how/what they setup the arguments for the SSH command.

“Host key verification failed.” is specifically a SSH error, so it’s possible they may be attempting to use the wrong key for the connection?

I’m really just speculating at this point, and I don’t currently have the time to dig into EPIC’s SSH code.

@Element808 was able to fix it (they commented above VERY recently) so there is a way to work around it.

Yeah they basically are running a single command on the REMOTE (Mac) machine:
'echo ~' to get the base directory. And for some reason, the error they get back from SSH is “Host key verification failed”

Okay so I finally got it working. Was debugging an Unreal bat file. Unreal has it looking for the same HOME on my Mac as was on PC - and of course they were named differently.

1. Open CMD.exe as administrator
  2. Run the command below

setx -m HOME ^%UserProfile^%

What this does is instead grab the HOME directory, whatever it might be on Mac or on Windows. The ssh was failing because cygwin was trying to create a “/home/myUsername” directory on my Mac.

FacePalm.exe thank you. I was able to set up a remote build on a VMware VM running mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 (host win10)