How to prevent ragdoll parts from stretching apart?

Got it. Did you properly setup constraints?

Yes. If calmly drag those body parts–the mesh ok. But when I move them extremely fast–that blow happens.
As I remember the same is with UE4 mannequin also.

Are you using a custom character? Daz? Mixamo?

Custom. Not DAZ, Not Mixamo.
Just tried–the same with UE4 default (no changes to it at all) female mannequin—drag crazy fast–it explodes.

Are you using UE5? It seems the chaos physics engine got worse compared with PhysX. For custom characters, the only and best way I am aware of is to use Autorig Pro in Blender and completely add an UE4-compatible skeleton. That solves all problems with a single shot: you have a full control rig, physics assets, facial control rig (with your character have 52 ARKit blendshapes) and all animation retargeting issues are gone. I used this workflow for my DAZ characters, but recently, with the new Mesh to Metahuman plugin, I will drop all other custom characters and stick with metahuman.

If you want a laborious yet functional workflow for creating detailed physics assets, take a look at this video. It may give you some insights about what you might be missing.
Daz3D G81F Physics Ragdoll - YouTube

I’ll see if I can find anything useful and share here.

2 Likes

I still use UE4–426.
My laptop has 7th gen intel integrated graphics–so UE5 isn’t for me right now. + I already read UE5 have worse and heavy Chaos physics engine by default.
I’m a Maya user. So prefer to use it.
The problem is that my char. and default UE4 explodes also. So it’s not about the character.
Thanks for the link–will check it soon.

default mannequin. No changes to it–just open existing PhAsset.

A small notice–most force-stretch glitches appear with low FPS–less than 20. With 30-40 fps they are very rare.

Additional—
An another notice–ALS doesn’t use PhAnimation Component.

1 Like

@boombyte I was able to get really good results by making a loop with a short delay and then multiplying the impulse by the loop index so the power comes on slowly. (still happens in .2 sec but a lot slower than instant.) The standard “for loop” doesn’t handle delays so I made a slightly modified one that has a second input I can hit after the delay.

here is the Add Impulse loop part

and this is the modified for loop, I went into the standard macros bp and duplicated the ‘for loop’ called it ‘loopy’. Just make a new input type Exec and connect it directly to the assign at the bottom then delete the sequencer and make true = loop body and false = completed I tried to mark my changes.

Hope this helps