How to get bounding box of Text 3D?

I’m just wondering, is there some
approach to change bg size only after
text was changed? Specifically in
Editor Mode

Run it in the Construction Script:

Image from Gyazo

Mine is buggy as I still run the older engine version. Should work better on your end.

Sorry about the Tick demo, it was just an example, this should absolutely not be on Tick, of course.

Let’s try something else. How about EUW - Editor Utility Widget. You can write your own editor elements to help with design.

• create one in the Content Browser:

338386-01-createeuw.png

• add an Editable Text Box:

338387-02-editable.png

• in the same widget, add the following script
  • it will call a custom event in the actor selected in the level

• the custom event in the actor with 3d text CAC (instead of the Construction Script):

• run the EUW:

338390-05-runit.png

• select an actor in the level and punch in the text:

Image from Gyazo

1 Like

Thank you! Now I understand Construction Script! I’ve tried your schema into the last official version UE 4.26, and it’s working exactly as on your gif screenshot. I mean, bg-box change its size according to the text size! Nice! But, I have the same issue as you show — flickering characters and keep deleted chars. What could be that? :slight_smile:

In Emulation mode, there is nothing bad. But working in Edit mode is annoying and makes any text job very complicated.

Unfortunately, I can not use this approach in my special version of UE. I use Pixotope UE, and they have removed the original Text3D and paste their own version of the 3d text actor… It works a bit differently. For example, I don’t have the flickering issue but I can not get the text bounding box at the same frame when I change the text. I have to wait until the next frame. Probably, I just have to use Event Tick. :frowning:

Is there any way to wait a little bit (next frame) in the Edit mode? Like “Delay” but working everywhere.

Or, force re-rendering the object? Just wondering… :slight_smile:

Wow! I’ve learned one more conception thanks to you!

Unfortunately, in this specific case it doesn’t help :frowning: I have to click “enter” one more time:

338438-animation-2.gif

BUT! I’ve found the way how to enable original Text3D in my project! So, all your previous help is working for me now! I’m so happy! :slight_smile:

Thank you again!

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it to work and good luck with the rest!

Also, you could potentially try this instead of onCommited:

338452-screenshot-1.png

This would fire after every letter.

Hi, sorry for the late answer, I had to switch to another part of the project.

Unfortunately, OnTextChanged is related to the interface, not to the text object.
But I’ve found how to use the original Text3D class in my project. So, I decided to use it.

Now, I have another issue :slight_smile: I can’t stand that Text3D flickering. For some reason, this flickering appears only when Text3D is inside of the ChildActor component.

Could you please advise me what can I do with this?
I decided to make a separate topic for this question — How to avoid the Text3D characters flickering? - Character & Animation - Epic Developer Community Forums

This is brilliant, cpl years late but thanks for leaving it here for me to find.
EUW nerds unite!!! Cheers Everynone, I’ve spent many years listening to your user name mentioned on the community shout outs!! I now officially know why LOL, wishing you well!

1 Like