how to animate camera but still look around

Hey -

Yes you are correct.

No, what I did in matinee was what I do to animate platforms. I assumed it would work in a similar manner, where I just animate the object and it moves to where I choose, where your method just attached the player to the object. I assumed the target point is an arbitrary placement thing, such as a null layer in other programs basically a marker for things. But I guess it has other functions?

I have never really used the director.

Here is my matinee:

So I ended up doing it in a very weird way. I took to heart the idea you gave me about starting the matinee at the beggining, but I can’t get this method to work.

So what I did instead is, I placed a hollow blocking volume around the area where the matinee starts. It’s collision is off, but as soon as you enter it, you are basically locked inside a box. From here I animate the box and the character has no choice but to follow. This also has the bonus of giving me some wiggle room so the player doesn’t feel he lost total control.

So far this seems like an adequate, although very rough solution. Although I can use it plenty.

Hey Everyone,

So with the help of this thread of managed to get something going. What i want to be able to do is for the player to be able to move his hmd around while the matinee is being animated on a path. Now i don’t currently have a headset to test with, but i am able to rotate my character during the animation with the mouse, although now I have the issue that i can’t look up and down with mouse input. Any ideas? Monday I’ll test with the headset and I have a feeling that the hmd will allow the look around since player cam is locked to hmd.

Oh, and i also dont have any wasd input once the matinee finishes… can look around both left right and up down.

My current level blueprint is as follows…

Hey everyone. I’m having a serious, but probably very simple problem you can solve easily but that is almost killing me in difficulty: how on earth did you animate the targetpoint? it seems like i cannot reference it anywhere and have no idea how to get it moving inside my sequencer (or matinee). It seems so simple but google didn’t give any results. I just want to have a simple VR turnable camera sequence as well… :frowning: