How many programmers realistically would it take to make a high end game in UE4?

Hawken started out as a 9 man indie team!

Yep prolly the sweetest project to come out of the UDK program.

that said it has a serious lack of narrative and is really only multiplayer. I would saying if you are looking to do something with a single player or at least more of a narrative you are looking at closer to 20-30 to do something approaching AAA quality. And that would be everyone being self motivated bad ■■■■■ that are uber productive.

Typically you can roughly double the salary of any given person on a team to match their costs (i.e. a programmer on 100k dollars will end up costing about 200k per year total). So figure out what it is you want to create, find out how many people worked on something similar, work out the pay rate for them (GDC salary survey will help there, google it) and then its (n*(salary * person)) * 2 for n number of devs total.

You can have one programmer, one 3D modeller/animator, and designer to make a game excluding sound effects, musics, graphics, etc… because you can do it after the first BETA project is completed.

From my point of view… 1; Because that’s all I’ve got for now :wink:

It’s very true. Especially if you are starting, with no or little experience is very hard to tell how much time you will need implement feature.
And even when you have experience, something that looks cool and easy on paper at first glance, might turn out into monumental task, with lots of walls, that you have no idea how to work around.

On one Unreal Tournament stream, they said that implementing flying board (or whatever this thing was called), took one year. ONE YEAR. Does it look complicated at first look ? Dunno, I wouldn’t say it is. And yet it needed load of time to get it done.

Ill mostlikely do just that then ^ after doing a bit more research of course. Thanks.