How do i use Root Motion on AI in a multiplayer game?

yes, indeed. it works with all root-motion based animations, because it’s concept is to depart from AI Capsule Movement and Let the root decide it’s own movement (according to the root within the animation, not the velocity of the capsule).

let me tell how it works so you don’t get confused of the functionality:
for example: if we want to implement the blueprint I’ve shared for a simple AI basic chase for a Character:

1-setup your Controlled Character (the character you’re playing with).
2-setup your AI (with his root-motion animation movements like walking and Idling).
3-make sure his capsule is Auto Activated, otherwise the root motion won’t be accumulated and the AI shall be standing although he seems walking in Animation.
4-refer the PATH START to your AI Location.
5-refer the PATH END to your Controlled Character Location.
6-open the AI animation blueprint, and make an anim statement, that if distance between AI and the Controlled Character is bigger than X float then play (your root-motion Walk, or Run Animation). and if otherwise, then play (your root-motion Idle Animation).
7-Set the AI Rotation, as shown in the explanation above [the thug character btw is the AI]
8-make sure you’ve made a setup for a Nav-Mesh Boundaries for the world.
9-Add some blocks or a maze to your level.
10-play your level, and wander with your Controlled Character a little bit.

You will see that the AI is 100% using his root-motion animation to chase the character, and will use Rotation to find the path to the Character.
Try it.

Can you see the pics I posted ?
What should I put in the Direction of the blendspace ?

can you show me your Anim BP and other BPs. Mine isn’t working man.
I feel such a noob.

the rotation animations aren’t working. You know walking and turning. How to get those properly ??

do you use root-motion for rotating?

Omar Nader … this is my game, maybe you can get some idea : Survivalizm - The Animal Simulator Windows, Mac, Linux game - Indie DB

Hey would you be interested in creating root motion AI setups for a UE4 game?

I know this is a super old post, but it is still relevant for anyone like myself trying to figure out AI that uses root motion, the info on this subject is very scattered and hard to find something that works.

“Code Like Me” got me off the ground. However he over complicates it, but after a week I got it to work.

Also this post help me figure out the last bit that I was struggling with. My AI was ignoring my nav mesh and it was able to run where there was no navmesh because of the root motion. It was my player index not set correctly,

That is the core of the blueprint you need to get your AI to chase you. This is the AI character blueprint, the video will show you how to set up the animation BP and the Blendspace.

Good Luck to anyone that finds this post!