How do I build correct Landscape HLODs in world partition?

Not that I can see

I have tested the World Partition feature with a 160 km² Landscape.
If i build the HLOD it says i ran out of Vram. I have a RTX 3080 it should handle that and dont comes over 5% during build. Anyway the Error pops up after 10% of Build. I dont tested the method of deleting HLOD and make new ones yet. Is it possible to separate HLOD´s on landscape so it would not Build all at once?

I was able to solve the Problem. It was to easy to find i guess.

In the Process i used to klick Build all. After a few times of the Error i only just used Build HLOD with the same Error.

I dont know why but yesterday have i Builded first the Minimap and than the HLOD and that was the Solution.

1 Like

A little hacky, but seems there is now a process using 5.1 -

I do hope they make it more intuitive soon!

5 Likes

I don’t think this will work with world partition.

I tried every “workaround” here but nothing works. My HLODs are still really high res and most of the HLODs tiles doesn’t load in game

I’ve been using UE for years now but I still don’t understand why Epic is still adding so many broken features to the public release of the engine. If it’s broken or experimental, it should be added in an experimental build. Using UE is spending more time trying to make the engine features to work than to create stuff with the engine.

6 Likes

Are you trying in 5.2 or 5.1? It is technically possible to build HLODs in 5.1 but it’s very finnicky and unreliable to the point where I’m not even sure what made it work those times it did. I think I messed around with the HLOD layers a bunch and got somewhere?

If you poke around with the search function there is a topic detailing exact problems, and code based adjustments to get results.

It ain’t this one, and there is a lot of misinformation on this thread.

The only thing spot on is that the engine hlod system remains partially broken.

There is way too many topics about HLODs and world partition to read. I’m a software user, not an engine programer at Epic to fix broken features

3 Likes

This was it! Thank you!!!

Still boken in 5.2? I´m not able to build any landscape hlod or correct landscape hlods.

1 Like

Still works the same for me as it always has: Landscape HLODs build, but the resulting mesh tessellation is inconsistent. Sure would be nice to have some documentation…

If i make a new open world level and delete the landscape and make a new i can get i to work. But if I do a new empty open world and make a landscape in that one i can´t get it to work. Don’t know what magic going on in the openworld level with a premade landscape.

My screenshot above was taken from a landscape created in an empty openworld map. Default settings. Not sure why it wouldn’t work for you.

I did notice problems when I enabled Nanite on the landscape, then went to build HLODs. It did generate HLODs for the Landscape but all the tiles had seams and the material it generated was just black.

I can build em but like in your screen its messed up like yours! And some times i cant build em at all. i´m not using Nanite for now on landscape.

So we probably have to wait 8-12 months for 5.3 and see if they fixed something that should already have worked in 5.1 … Epic …

1 Like

Same here.
5.1 had bad HLODs building for me but 5.2 is not even building at all anymore.
Log says :

Assertion failed: bIsRoutingPostCompilation == false [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\TextureCompiler.cpp] [Line: 245]
Registering a texture to the compile manager from inside a texture postcompilation is not supported and usually indicate that the previous async operation wasn't completed (i.e. missing call to PreEditChange) before modifying a texture property

What an upgrade…

It’s not just HLODs, I have similar issues with copied projects from 5.1. The maps will open if I validate the asset map first (Validate Asset), but I would have to do that every time I’ve opened the editor before opening the map.

For now, staying with 5.1

Do you have VT enabled? I spent a day debugging this issue on 5.2 and here is what I found I also figured out how to fix this error.

VT needs to be enabled if your using HLODs or it will cause a memory leak and video memory usage will be sky high.

VT needs to be disabled when building HLODs or IsRoutingPostCompilation will return false and the build will fail.

So yep its bugged for sure, but just disable VT build your HLODs then enable it again.

You can switch out the material on the HLODs to a non VT one which will also work but I found doing the above easier for me.

2 Likes

Doesn’t work at all

2 Likes

Can confirm WP and HLODs are still not working properly in 5.2… Wonder how landmark features like this can still be broken after 3 major UE5 releases…

5 Likes