Himeko Sutori, tactical turn-based JRPG, armies of hundreds of unique characters

Here’s a little desert scene I put together to show off the new assets I added:

These models and most of the textures started life at the Unity Asset Store. I put them into Blender, redid a bunch of bad UVs, made custom collision meshes, vertex painted them, then made custom materials in the editor. In addition to my usual shader that changes color with time of day, I added wind direction, and the fabric and branches move in waves with the wind, going up and down and stretching slightly in the XY plane in the direction of wind. The red vertex color, multiplied by wind strength, tells the mesh how far to move. The blue vertex color tells the mesh if it has to stop moving downward at a certain point, so the fabric meshes don’t drop below the wooden frames. It looks really good in close-up, like it’s a physics simulation and not just shader instructions.

I also redid the line color on the Sobel edge material.

I started off with the default black line that’s in the Sobel edge UDK gem. I didn’t like how it looked and I changed it to my scene’s shadow color, which made it a purplish color. I didn’t like that either. So now I take the pixel color, normalize it, multiply the original pixel color by the normalized color, and end up with a saturated version of the original color. Then I multiply by the shadow color, and you don’t just have a purple line over everything, but you have a darker, more saturated color of the pixel, that’s pushed toward the color of the scene’s shadows the same way everything else is: by multiplying the color.

I played it but sadly I got stuck at the point that you are building your squad how to continue, what do you have to press ?

Hi Neongho. I just added some more to the tutorial. I’ll upload that build soon. After you’ve made a squad, you can either press Escape or move the mouse to the top-left corner and click on the button that appears there. That should take you back to the main menu, and from there you can return to the game and start the battle.

I haven’t been doing much actual development over the last couple of weeks. I’ve been getting my Steam page ready, so that people can start seeing the page and adding it to their wishlists. So in preparation for that I’ve been working on a new trailer.

I need to make the text more visible and some people have suggested a stronger opening. But unless any of you have some strong opinions with strong backings, then I think this is the direction I’ll be going. I can change the Steam trailer at any time, and this YouTube video has few enough views that if I remove it, it’s not the end of the world.

I’ve also been working on my branding image:

http://himekosutori.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/capsule_main.jpg

I listened to a video on YouTube where the creator of HackNet was talking about the reasons behind his success. One thing that he did and that he suggested that everyone else do is Photoshop their logos onto Steam’s front page. I did that and realized that my previous logo sucked. No one would ever want to click on it in that crowd. So I made some changes and I hope this is better. I’m hoping it’s attractive enough and interesting enough to generate some clicks, and I think maybe it hints just enough at what’s in the game.

Hey Franktech, thanks for the input. I think I’ll be redoing the trailer when I have more content from the official campaign done.

I’ve been redoing the starting city. Here’s what we have so far:

This is Sunrise Falls.

Your first task involves checking out various parts of the city. This will familiarize you with the controls and give some plot exposition.

Everyone warns you to stay away from the town’s world gate, but what you do is your choice.

When you first meet him, the girls’ father is too busy to talk. But if you listen carefully to the conversation between him and his guest, you’ll learn a little of what’s going on in the world.

You should be able to win your first battle, but if you’re not careful, you can lose your dog and fairy companions this early in the game.

This is the tavern (still in need of some NPCs) where you’ll recruit a few more party members before heading out on your adventure.

All of the Kismet and Matinee work is taking a little time, but I’m getting better at it. And hopefully once we’re out of the starting town, I can let all of the random generators and AI start doing more to push the game along.

I think your game has become more faithful than before.^^
It looks good.

Man, sincerely, your game is a FANTASTIC piece of art. It remembers me of grandia, the original grandia on Sega Saturn, which mixed 3D Environment with 2D sprite Characters. It was one of the best Sega Saturn games ever. Your game visual`s looks like a re-imagination of Grandia. Congratulations!!! By the way, you are a trully skilled game dev! I mean, you need to have to many skills and mainly creativity to create a RPG, thinking about the narrative, gameplay elements, the UI. I am trully impressed bro!!!

:smiley:

Thank you very much Kehoon Ahn and udkultimate. You guys help keep me motivated.

Here are a few more gifs from chapter 1. The first chapter is almost finished.

Exploring the tavern:

More combat. The really big thing here is that the enemy archers backed up first before firing. They found the node farthest from the player lances, but still within firing range, moved there, then attacked. The computer used to rush the closest player lance. But now the computer can kite you with archers and will gang up on wounded units. The computer got to be so cutthroat in fact that I gave it some suboptimal strategies to make the game more fun.

Going into a story battle.

Close-up of combat.

A cutscene that makes use of color grading:

And the event that will lead us into chapter 2. I still need to work on the lighting and camera angle some more.

I still have one more area to build, and one more story battle (and maybe a couple more random encounter battle maps for variety) and then we’re off to chapter 2.

Quick screenshot dump. Chapter 1 is inching closer to completion. Here is a little bit of what you can expect to see.

Your game’s indoor map looks good.
And the ‘World Gate’ in the second screenshot looks very dangerous. What is in the ‘World Gate’?

Thanks Kehoon Ahn! I recently added new assets for dungeon levels. I really like them so far.

As for the world gate, you’ll have to play to find out. :slight_smile:

Actually, they’re just teleportation nodes. There’s a little more to it than that, and they play a central role in the plot, but simply put they’re teleportation nodes.

The look of ‘World Gate’ resembles the skill ‘Dark Matter’ in ‘The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel’.
The skill is very lethal. So The ‘World Gate’ looks dangerous.
Just teleportation node can be relieved. ^^;;;;;;;

One more screenshot. Here is one of the battles you’ll have in the sewers.

This is a pretty small battle map, but it still took me about 3 days to make. I’m hoping that now that I have a better sense of what I can do with these assets, I’ll be able to make other dungeon maps faster.

I’ve started chapter 2, where the heroes head through the world gate and into the Shadowlands.

Here are some new enemies.

Here’s the world map. It’s a bit drab. I’m going to see if I can add some color, make it more interesting while keeping it scary.

You’re not going to find many settlements here, but you can trade with the caravans that are going through. There’s a lighting error here where the characters are lit much darker than the environment. I fixed that but haven’t taken a new screenshot of the area.

I was trying to establish a feeling like being in a haunted forest. I hope I’m close. Something about that grass looks off to me. I’m going to see if I can darken it or something.

And just for fun, here’s a look at some rocks.

I have four big rocks and four little rocks. They all have a base layer with diffuse and normal textures. Then on top of that there are detail textures tiled in triplanar projection. The detail texture is the same scale regardless of the mesh scale. And the top is covered in grass regardless of which way the mesh is rotated. The result ends up being quite versatile. With just those eight meshes I was able to make a large and varied environment.

The area of chapter 2 of your game seems to be desolate and scary. @_@;;;
I think it is necessary to have a semi-rotten body, a dirty river, a ruined village, a haunted house, and so on.
You seem to be doing an exciting work. Good luck. ^^

During the month of May, this is what I worked on:

Emissive masks on the character sprites

I wanted to introduce magical weapons and give them some sort of visual indicator that they aren’t just regular weapons. The weapons already had a texture for RGB and opacity. Adding a glow mask should have required adding another texture, which I didn’t want to do. So instead I messed with how the material interprets the alpha channel, which now serves double duty as both the opacity mask and the emissive mask. The glow itself is very simple: a tiling cloud texture at different scales, one panning up-left and the other panning up-right, multiplied together, used as the alpha for a lerp between two colors.

Reassembling my sprite material (which is basically a lot of textures layered in different orders depending on camera direction and pawn direction) in order to layer the glow mask properly ended up being a large undertaking. But I think the effect turned out nicely.

New pumpkinhead character

An RPG just feels like it needs more enemies than I currently have. These pumpkinhead guys start with the Strawman character class and can unlock the Scarecrow class. They use scythes and sickles, deal high damage, and have low defense. All of their speech consists of lines from the Hollow Men by T. S. Eliot. The poem itself is a little unsettling. Having a scarecrow recite relevant lines from it during combat is even more unsettling.

New fire and lighting effects

Himeko Sutori’s fire used to consist of flipbooks from a purchased asset pack. I’m replacing most or all instances of those fires with procedural fire, which looks a lot better IMHO. I made a jagged shape with a yellow-orange-red color ramp in After Effects. I multiply that by a panning yellow-black-red noise pattern. And then I pan a different noise pattern and add it to the texture coordinates, and I get a beautiful shimmering, flickering, dancing fire.

I had been avoiding dynamic lights for a long time due to performance concerns, but eventually I reached a point where I just could not achieve the desired effect without them. I tried out some dynamic lights and realized that in my target hardware requirements, a couple of dynamic lights here and there won’t hurt performance.

And here’s a tip that I’d like to share with you. I learned it recently after watching some GDC videos. Ever notice how additive particle materials just look white in a bright setting, and translucent materials don’t look bright enough or have dark edges? Here’s how you solve that: Use the texture’s alpha to blend between (brightness * texture) and ((brightness * texture) + destination). That way, you can have the material glow as much as you want around the edges, but you keep the color in the middle of the material in bright settings. I don’t know how many people will read this. Maybe I should make that information a separate post.

New town

I’ve realized that I really prefer the aesthetics of a fixed camera position. Whether fixed to world space, or fixed relative to the pawn, I like the way it looks and I like the simplified level design. So in large open areas like the world map, I’ll allow camera movement. And during combat I’ll allow camera movement. But just about anywhere else, I think I’m going to keep a fixed camera. The fixed camera works really well in places like this town. This level just wouldn’t work with a spinning camera.

This new town served several purposes for me. It let me try out a new camera mode. It also changes the pacing of the first chapter and gives me a place to introduce crafting stations.

And of course I had to add crafting materials and recipes, which was really time-consuming, but not as interesting as any of this other stuff.

1 Like

Night scenes were really boring to look at. I added rim lighting to all of the outdoor materials, and I think it’s a huge improvement. The rim lighting was more complicated than usual because a lot of the materials are triplanar and the detail normal maps tile in world space, and the simulated light vector is in world space, but the macro-scale normal maps are in normal space. So I had to do some extra work to get everything calculated in the right vector space. Also, the color and intensity change with time of day.

Next, I’m integrating crafting into everything. That means building locations with crafting stations, putting tools and recipes into vendor inventories, and putting crafting materials into the random loot drops.

Adding more locations, and making sure that the character lighting works everywhere. I still need to tweak a few locations.

Adding more locations. Note the triplanar projection on the landscape, detail textures on the rocks, and rim lighting on the canyon walls and far corner of the towers.

And here’s the transition to the next area.

World-spanning epic RPGs sure do require a lot of levels. I think I might be about 25% done.

Man, what I can say, is always, WOW, you are a brilliant developer!!! This game for me is like the spiritual successor of the original Grandia (old rpg franchise from Sega Saturn) which was a masterpiece on its time, and one of the most epic RPG on the game industry.

Sincerely, for one-man developer, your work stands out from many other games, including the fact that you are using a kind of “outdated” technology (UE3), and you have done everything almost from scratch.

Don’t worry that you are just 25% done on the game, be sure that whenever you release it, you will succeed man :smiley:

By the way, thanks for helping me with my stealth kill script, you ROCK!!!

:smiley:

PS: I always save all your screenshots for the delight of my eyes and to serve as inspiration to keep myself motivated on my projects :smiley:

I was surprised by your rim lighting work.
Because of the rim lighting work, the details of your game background are much better than before. ^^