Help: Shadows are pitch black.

More details on this please …

When did it start? Was it working as intended prior to some change? What was the change?
Im looking at the island map now and going to see if i cant dig something out to whats causing this …

the change was when I imported Uzumis empty map cause I was having lots of issues with the day / night cycle.
that happened last week. its the clouds really that are killing me…look at the screenshot. before I added that Day / Night cycle (which works flawless when I play the map) i could see the entire area. Now I have to get REAL close to work and its not working out well for me that way.

then look at how dark my shadows are just normal when you are on the ground…insanely dark. and I have the sky distance threshold at 130k
345727e51c73e90d688227da3413b2196b58a3e4.jpeg
The blackness

0ffcd1e703c13c06aeb41108492333324d3ffed7.jpeg
Color my world Blackened. :frowning:

open your matinee … no0b!
Specificly, open the DayMaster one … the 3rd one on the list i think … it will pop clouds and lights for you … yes, you need to do this every time the sky gets dark … just stop the matinee when tis light … re-open it to make it light again … you can jsut close it when the sun pops up

HAHAHAHAH
well I did that and now everything is blue black
8d92752555382b10b7cfcb5a1a07258bea1bc127.jpeg

while playing the game gives thise19e9a78e31a1c12cfe4d109d02c617a8330f0a5.jpeg

at least its still light when it needs to be

Working on this shadow thing now … i will post anything that works lol

your fog is too low … or … high … i forgot what one … move your atmosph fog up or down to resolve that

wait you mean move it with on the map or change its height?

sigh…the land is also not being updated anymore.

so remember yesterday when I told you i was half in the map and half out of it but was still able to walk around? I noticed that the map isn’t being updated when I run preview, so the land isn’t the same as it is in the editor…which is why my character is half in the island floor and half out…he’s running on the actual ground but in game since its not being updated…he’s running thru the hill that used to be there.

i’ve tried building the map, cooking it…reloading the editor…nothing is updating the map

haha yeah that happens. When i had to rebuild my trees, twice now, you have to delete the mod/map from the server and local machine, then download it new … otherwise, it thinks all that **** is still there.

wait…waht?
LOL…i’m running on 4 hours of sleep and I still have 4 more hours of work to do on this before I can close it out for the night. So please be patient with me as words are hard now LOL

i resolved it:

Now, im not EXACTLY sure how to get them to work as they should … but … step 1 is understanding the problem

I selected a test area on my map, the beach, since, its the easiest to work with.
I added a “MasterIBL_Capture_Blueprint” (just search for Master and it pops up). <— worked because it has no dependency
I added 4 child ones (search for child and it pops up, not the cube one) in a square type shape. <— did nothing because i didnt link them or put them in the right place
Saved. Rebuild the reflections (all levels) …

and … (even tho i did it kinda wrong, the result was from the MASTER not the CHILD ones i placed)

got this (you can see the BLACK and the SOFT)
Soft shadows = where the CHILD IBL touches, and black, well, its missing the IBL
YOUR ALL WELCOME BOW DOWN TO MY AWESOME POWERS !!! im kidding … kinda

***UPDATE:
So far:
1 Master for an area. We will say “MasterIBL_Beach” (for example).
X amount of CHILD on the “map_near” for that area
As the guide below states, set the child to the master ibl
you may have to rebuild reflections, i havent seen a “real-time” instant shadow correction on any of the child ones. I am probably doing it wrong tho.

232970d9e3fe38adceac4f6a8e43f1bb1890593f.jpeg

its not working for me
i’ve laid out a bunch of child IBL and have the one master.

wonder if I need more than one master

Its being a pain for me in the thick parts … im still working out the details on how this works

still … being a pain and not working right
Its a lot more complicated then “place items on the map and have it worky” … no worky … brokey …

I’m sorting out other problems while you find a solution LOL…I still cannot get the world to be updated when I preview…its playing an older version of the map…I’m not using the server either just preview from the editor to my local machine.

I scrapped the entire project i was working on, and, moved back to UE4.10 and making my own thing.
Enjoy … whatever this hot mess is …

Thank you Angrytoilet, once again you have remedied my problem! I have been scratching my head for days on how to get the shadows to not be pitch black, and now I can see in the forest!!! This explination was so simple and perfect. I tip my hat to you good sir!