Guys I need advice I plan on using a Tech Preview copy of Windows 10 for the next 9 years.

But if they do this how will they continue making money?

It’s not the same, you only get test builds, not the retail version

test builds should be stable enough yes?

or it will break the windows?

It could. Stay on the Slow ring and it shouldn’t be bad.

Thanks so slow ring thats the option in windows update when you click Advanced and it has slow and fast?

So we can rest assured slow ring will almost guarantee stable enough builds?

There’s a reason they are test builds, and that’s because they aren’t stable.

Ok well guys good news, I bite the bullet and bought a genuine windows 8.1 professional CD key I got it where I get all my keys, www.g2a.com

Its a OEM Key

Came up to $26 with G2A shield which guarantees a legit key. You have to pay $1 more for that insurance thingy. Well I installed the windows 8.1 pro with an ISO from microsoft website via the media creation tool.

burned on the image to a DVD rebooted and installed it onto my SSD, when asked for the CD key I put it in and to my surprise it worked. I buy games often on G2A for dirt cheap price and it activates fine on steam with the key but never bought an OS key before.

Booted into windows 8.1 pro, checked my computer and went properties it says “windows is activated”

I installed 1GB of windows 8.1 automatic updates to the latest version, rebooted checked my computer and still says “windows is activated” it also allowed me to reserve my copy of Windows 10 just after the windows had finished installing. I clicked reserve.

So guys I have a question now, does this mean the CD Key is a genuine windows 8.1 Pro key? and my PC will be upgraded when windows 10 releases? from the best of my knowledge, this key is legit. I don’t know how else to tell or what else to do to verify how authentic this key is, but windows 8 is fully updated to latest update and it still says windows is activated.

I don’t want to rate the purchase as yet, because I don’t know for 100% sure of this key is legit and if I will get my windows 10, I hope so cause $26 is a lot of money for me in my country. lol

If MS activates it I would assume they accept it :wink:

ow ok well this is good news. lol $26 was such a steal you can get it from the link I posted thats the one I bought. Only thing is its OEM key so I has a question now.

What happens when my motherboard dies? its a new mainboard a gigabyte FM2+, but in the event it dies how do I transfer the OEM license? and also since this is an upgrade to windows 10 and say this board dies in 3 years, won’t the deal be over since u only have 1 year to upgrade to windows 10 for free?

My mainboard is a $40 Gigabyte, how long could I expect it to last? it features 100% Japanese capacitors Chemi Con

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5012#ov

It is for some reason carrying the brown KZG Chemi Con Capacitors while the North American version carries the green Sanyo Capacitors. I will make a blind guess here and assume Chemi Con caps are better and are used in my version because places outside of North America and Europe are hotter and more harsh. Cause Seasonic PSUs use Chemi Con

If your motherboard dies you’ll have to buy a new Windows license. The license is tied to the MAC address which is on the motherboard, so if you replace it it would have a new MAC address. And you can’t transfer Windows licenses.

Also, I would be concerned that the place you bought the Windows 8 license from is a scam, keep an eye on your credit card.

^ Nah I used Pay Pal

been using G2A.com for a year now. Its well known and reputable, I bought so many game keys on there already its not even funny. I pay like $2 and stuff for Company of Heroes and Watch Dogs etc.

How they operate is they buy keys from Russia etc, its sold at a much lower price there due to Piarcy. The keys either work or they don’t work. But I buy with G2A shield activated for $1 extra. I also pick G2A selected offer, these keys from my understanding costs a few dollars more but are guaranteed to work.

There is absolutely no questions about it, G2A is very very trusted but you have to be smart and buy from the G2A selected offer you must spend the extra $4. Else you risk buying from a merchant on the site where you are not sure if its safe. Yet still with the shield you are guaranteed a working key.

The only thing that can happen now is some weird reason it may say not genuine key but I don’t see how it would be possible when the key worked perfectly when installing the default ISO from Microsoft website and after all the updates and restarted it still says windows is activated. I still have the button to click on G2A website to report the key as invalid and received another one. Or rate my purchase.

If you have to pay extra to improve your chances of getting a valid key it’s not likely to be legitimate store

It is not a legitimate store but the keys are legitimate.

Keys are bought in Russia, regions where its vastly cheaper. I have been using them over a year now, bought over 50 keys I even sell games now as a business, I buy them on G2A sell them as legit keys to people, I have been turning a profit on it. Never had an issue even once.

The only way to stop these sites is to stop regional pricing. The thing is if anyone say Valve realizes you bought Keys from Russia, and activated it in the US they can ban your account, luckily there is noway for them to know this as information from G2A is confidential.
Quite honestly since I do not live in a first world, these keys should be the same price for me in my region.

For Example EA understands this and as such I get games much cheaper than Americans. Where as in America a game will say $40 USD in your Origin, it will show up as $20 USD on mine. So I don’t need to use G2A because well buying from origin legit on a sale is even cheaper than G2A Russian keys.

Well since my mainboard is only a few months old and features Japanese capacitors etc my estimate is it will last me a 7 years comfortable. By will buy a windows 11 CD key or something cheap on G2A. Which will be about the same $26 or whatever. I use a cooler master HAF tower, plus a expensive PSU, and external voltage regular to the wall socket ontop of that. I would say this thing is really well protected. Hopefully it lasts

I figured this is better than being a windows 10 beta tester for life, I really dont like the idea of microsoft spying on my sensitive data and possible builds that will break the OS and make me lose my valuable data

You can turn a lot of ‘spying’ stuff off ya know, you don’t “have” to share all that data with them. But, being as its in beta, and I would like to help in anyway I can, I leave it on for now(until RTM next month) Figure it’s the least I can do for them letting me use it for the last year.