Glass Material: Raytracing Translucency?

I followed Fatty Bulls walkthrough and I still get black windows. The window meshes are double sided, 5mm thick and I’m using 4.24P3. and the glass material is from the UE automotive materials pack. Any ideas as to what I’m obviously doing wrong would be super.

Thanks in advance.
Josh

There’s a few things to take into consideration for this to work. To make it simpler, here’s my master material, and it’s instance’s parameters below. Make sure the material blend mode is translucent, and the material’s lighting mode is set to Surface ForwardShading.

No need to change camera parameters like in the video above, you can do it for the whole scene in the post process volume. The main two settings you need to have are translucency type - ray tracing, and refraction - off.

Cool car btw :wink:

@JoshKitney if after the settings above you are still getting black windows, the reason is because it is double sided, so you will want to experiment Max. Refraction Rays with higher values, but the best would be if the mesh wasn’t double sided, because I am not sure how the light bounces are being dealt in that such small area… it might be black because it is reflecting the car interior and the bounces are not enough to get through the windows. Refraction Rays increase will cost, so if you are looking for cinematic it is ok.

Thanks @Bleen0_0 and @NilsonLima. I was experimenting again today and I got the result (attached). I also followed your steps just to make sure I was doing it right. Thanks for taking the time to write out your adventures.

Peace
Josh

Looks pretty awesome @JoshKitney ! Congratz !

Thanks mate. I’m still blocking out this guy, but I thought I’d do the glass first and not cry over my keyboard after doing everything, and then do the glass.

Those car windows look crystal clear, if you followed Bleen’s advice you should have opacity of .5.

I don’t understand. :frowning:

I just want clear glass with nice reflections, but I can’t seem to get it!