Git Source Control Provider Plugin

It would be far easier for me, and quicker to get updates for you at times, but:

1. it would mean more maintenance work for me to adapt to moving APIs or coding rules, and I am not always as available and willing to do the work as I am now
  2. it would reach far fewer people
    Cheers!

Edit: I tried to maintain a second plugin “Git Dev” that you can install along the default plugin, but it is too much work and not really worth it I believe.

Hi @MatzeOGH, I updated my Git Plugin repository with a backport from master/4.16 to be used in current UE4.15 :slight_smile:

If you want to, you can try to add it to your Game project, in the Plugins/ subdirectory (create one if you don’t have one).

Also, I will update it with further development, currently about Git LFS 2.0.1 “File Locking” workflow.
It is taking some time as it is nearly a new plugin on its own…

Cheers!

Git Plugin Changelog

UE 4.16 (upcoming):

UE 4.17:

Pull Requests sleeping:

Work in progress:

• Support for explicit configuration of the default remote server ‘origin’ (needed for Push and Git LFS Lock)
  • Support for a new “Push” operation (needed for Git LFS Lock)
  • Support for new Git LFS 2.0.0 Lock system (working Proof Of Concept)!

Hi all, hi @MatzeOGH, for those wanting to give a try to new features of the Git Plugin (like Git LFS 1 support) the new Unreal Engine 4.16 Preview 1 release is there for testing purpose, enjoy!

Awesome.
Thanks for your hard work, I’m looking forward to the moment our Artist can do everything git related in engine

Hey @MatzeOGH, I would really love to get a list of missing features for your Artist needs!

Presently, there is a bunch of things that could get improved, many of them are In-Engine (so a bit deeper/harder than in the Plugin itself). What I need is some clear motivation & focus on useful things, else I tends to work first on things I want.

I believe that most important missing features would be:

• git push (with remote ‘origin’ support :cool:, but also deals with authentication :()
  • git LFS 2 file Locking system (which was kind of working last time I worked on it, but lacked the validation & polish needed)

I’ve release a new version of the standalone Git plugin “v2.0” for UE4.15 with all features and bugfixes developped for UE4.16 and some more :slight_smile:

UE4.17 released

UE 4.17 released with:

Enjoy!

Git Plugin Changelog

UE 4.18 (upcoming):

Waiting for Review for 4.19:

I’ve just released a new v2.2 of the Git Source Control Provider plugin for Unreal Engine 4.17 with many bugfixes of upcoming UE versions!

I’ve just released a new v2.3 of the Git Source Control Provider plugin for Unreal Engine 4.17 with initial support fot Git LFS 2.x File Locks!

Edit: Works best with Git LFS 2.3.0 contains in today’s git for windows

I’ve just released a new v2.4 of the Git Source Control Provider plugin for Unreal Engine 4.18 that can optionally create a custom README.md file when initializing a new Git repository for you UE4 Project.

In the meantime, UE 4.18 has been released with the following:

And this night Epic Games has merged in master everything I’ve submitted for upcoming UE4.19, which is awesome!

Change 3645109 by Matt.Kuhlenschmidt

PR #3990: Git plugin: fix status of renamed, removed, missing, untracked assets (Contributed by SRombauts)

Change 3645114 by Matt.Kuhlenschmidt

PR #3991: Git Plugin: Fix RunDumpToFile() leaking Process handles (Contributed by SRombauts)

Change 3645116 by Matt.Kuhlenschmidt

PR #3996: Git Plugin: run an “UpdateStatus” at “Connect” time to populate the Source Control cache (Contributed by SRombauts)

Change 3645118 by Matt.Kuhlenschmidt

PR #4005: Git Plugin: Expand the size of the Button “Initialize project with Git” (Contributed by SRombauts)

Change 3653627 by Matt.Kuhlenschmidt

PR #4020: Source Control Submit Files now interprets Escape key as if the user clicked cancel (Contributed by SRombauts)

Change 3683614 by Matt.Kuhlenschmidt

PR #4062: Git Plugin: Fix UE-44637: Deleting an asset is unsuccessful if the asset is marked for add (Contributed by SRombauts)

Awesome, the 4.19 preview 1 contains my following PR for Git and Source Control:

Hi all, as usual the Preview release made me improve the Git plugin:

Hi all,

I’ve just released a new version v2.5 of the standalone Git plugin with the "Push" "operation in Source Control Menu :slight_smile:

I will also propose this as a Merge Request, for UE4.20 hopefully.

Enjoy!

So, with the release of UE 4.20, here come a few improvements to the Git Plugin:

And for more general Source Control Quality of life:

But also, in other area of the Editor:

Cheers!

Thank you :slight_smile:

In the release of UE 4.21 I was only able to get one minor improvement to the source control History window:

I do have a few things in the pipe already merged in the dev-editor branch, for UE 4.22:

As well as minor fix or improvements to other parts of the engine (Perforce plugin, Audio in PIE)

Bests,
Sébastien

In the release of UE 4.22 I got merged 3 Source Control PR:

As well as a minor new Blueprint API (GetConsoleVariableBoolValue #5326)

For upcoming 4.23 I do have a few PR in flight, as well as 2 already merged :slight_smile:

Bests,
Sébastien