Generating dll while UE4 editor is opened

I have the same error. Also if I build in the editor I get no errors but blueprints are not reflecting changes made in code. This is for a project that was upgraded from 4.14 to 4.15.

Yes, UBT in 4.15 loses track of the build numbers and for some reason it expects the wrong build number for the .lib file while in fact they match that of the .dll.

I tried the work around in UE-42205 and it worked for a single compile but then failed on the second try

2>  Compiling game modules for hot reload
2>  Performing 4 actions (4 in parallel)
2>  [2/4] Link UE4Editor-RuntimeMeshComponent-2318.lib
2>     Creating library E:\Projects\Unreal\Pegs 4.15\Plugins\UE4RuntimeMeshComponent-2.0\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-RuntimeMeshComponent-2318.lib and object E:\Projects\Unreal\Pegs 4.15\Plugins\UE4RuntimeMeshComponent-2.0\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-RuntimeMeshComponent-2318.exp
2>  PegsPlayerCharacter.cpp
2>  [3/4] Link UE4Editor-Pegs-9255.dll
2>  [4/4] Link UE4Editor-Pegs-6902.lib
2>     Creating library E:\Projects\Unreal\Pegs 4.15\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Pegs-9255.lib and object E:\Projects\Unreal\Pegs 4.15\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Pegs-9255.exp
2>     Creating library E:\Projects\Unreal\Pegs 4.15\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Pegs-9255.suppressed.lib and object E:\Projects\Unreal\Pegs 4.15\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Pegs-9255.suppressed.exp
2>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: E:\Projects\Unreal\Pegs 4.15\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Pegs-6902.lib

I am using a plug in RuntimeMeshComponent. I checked and my code changes arenā€™t making it into the editor, so it is not just a reporting issue. The hot load did indeed fail. If I close the editor I can build just fine.

Iā€™m also having this problem now. Started with OPs problem (hot reloading *.dll works but *.lib does not) but now the editor doesnā€™t seem to load the *.ddl either:

LogModuleManager:Warning: ModuleManager: Unable to load module 'C:/z/myproj/Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-myproj-4414.dll' because the file couldn't be loaded by the OS.
Warning: HotReload failed, reload failed /Script/myproj.

Edit: Creating a new 4.15 project still does not have this more ā€œcriticalā€ version of the problem.

The issue here appears to be triggered by any hot reload performed on a project. The first hot reload seems to work fine, but any hot reloads that are performed after that (the Editor does not actually need to be closed in between hot reloads, I found) will display this result. We have some engineers looking into this, and will hopefully have it resolved soon.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to provide a quick update on this issue. We have a fix in place for this issue, and it is expected to be included in the first hotfix for 4.15. If you continue to see this occurring in 4.15.1, please let us know.

Thanks a lot guys! Once the Hotfix is out i will try that out and come back to you in case the problem still exists!

Build 4.15.1 made my compile error go away, but the hot reload does not take effect. I have to close the editor and reopen it to see my code changes in editor. This is a soul-crushing hit to my workflow iterations.

I believe this is related to me using a plugin (namely UE4RuntimeMeshComponent-2.0), though hot reload worked fine in 4.14.

Hi ,

Weā€™re still seeing the same issue in 4.15.1, no change to repro steps or result.

I donā€™t believe this is the same as youā€™re seeing in UE-42205. As previously mentioned the editor is not reporting a successful hot reload but that the OS canā€™t load the produced dll.

Nick

Just like some of the comments above, 4.15.1 fixed the visual studio error, but we are still getting the hot reload failed in editor.

Using VS17 on Windows 10 and only have one plugin in the projects folder (FMOD Audio)

Iā€™m having the same issue - hot reload failed in editor.

In addition, when I just restart the editor then on startup I get "The game module ā€˜Xā€™ could not be loaded. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be properly set up.
Another build in VS resolves that and the editor starts. Fails on next hot reload of course.

I tried removing Intermediate and regenerating VS project files - did not help.

The project is using a plugin and references it in the C++ code. I canā€™t move the code in, as itā€™s a 3rd party plugin.
Hope the issue will be resolved soon as it has huge impact on productivityā€¦

Until itā€™s fixed, is there a way to disable hot reloading on new build in VS but still be able to hot reload when built in Editor? Then I could build in VS to fix compilation errors and do additional build in Editor when ready for testing. Now a VS build forces restart of Editor.

Hi everyone,

Could you please clarify where you are still seeing this fail for you? I ran some tests in both 4.14.3 (using Visual Studio 2015) and 4.15.1 (using Visual Studio 2017), and in both versions I got the same results. When I made changes to both the project code as well as the plugin code, the project code would get hot reloaded successfully and the changes would be seen in the Editor, but the changes to the plugin code would not be seen in the Editor. Both results were expected, since plugins donā€™t hot reload.

If anyone has a sample project that shows the trouble you are having, and specific instructions with regards to what changes you are making and how you are starting the compile process, that would be very helpful since it appears to be working fine when I test it.

Hi ,
The issue is still there, with ā€œUnable to load moduleā€ when trying to do hot reload.
I donā€™t have any sample project as Iā€™m using a 3rd party plugin and Iā€™m not familiar with making plugins myself. Hopefully someone else can provide a sampleā€¦

After an update, I started getting these errors (see screenshot) after a hot reload (4.15.1):

And in output log I see a lot of:

LogLinker:Error: BPGC_ARCH_FOR_CDO_GameSaveProLibrary_5 has an inappropriate outermost, it was probably saved with a deprecated outer (file: ā€¦/ā€¦/ā€¦/ā€¦/ā€¦/ā€¦/HELM/depot/TheSoulkeeperVR/Content/Blueprints/GameFlow/GameFlowBase.uasset)

What helps - close editor, recompile, open editor, recompile assets with errors to remove bad references.

Also this one:

LogLinker:Error: HOTRELOADED_GameSaveProComponent_0 has an inappropriate outermost, it was probably saved with a deprecated outer (file: ā€¦/ā€¦/ā€¦/ā€¦/ā€¦/ā€¦/HELM/depot/TheSoulkeeperVR/Content/Blueprints/GameFlow/GameFlowDoorBase.uasset)

Weā€™ve got problem with compiling outside the editor with FMOD and UE 4.15/4.15.1 too. It didnā€™t happened before. Very annoying and time consuming for programmers. Please fix that ASAP because itā€™s not.

I still have not been able to reproduce any of the ongoing issues that are being reported in 4.15.1. In my tests, hot reloading in 4.15.1 results in the same behavior that I see in 4.14.3. Any additional information that may help reproduce the results that you are seeing would be very helpful.

In my case hot reload stopped working when I added the GameSparks plugin to my project and added use of their API in my C++ game code. It worked fine in 4.15 until I added and referred to the plugin.
I never used the plugin prior to UE 4.15 so not sure if itā€™s a regression in this version.

Exactly same here. Iā€™ll send you example project on Tuesday. Iā€™ve reproduced that.