Gaussian blur post processing material

Same problem here. If I add more offsets and make the loop >5 it says “infinite loop”.

This is nice and very useful but I noticed the scenetexture input doesn’t actually do anything. I was trying to plug in a mask and blur that. Anyone know how to get that working again?

Same issue here, did you solve it?

since all searches seem to lead to this thread and it didnt have a solution yet…there you go:

float3 res = 0;

//new - get invSize from here
float2 invSize = View.ViewSizeAndInvSize.zw;

//new - we need to fix uv coordinates like this (still seems to be a bug in 4.21)
uv = ViewportUVToSceneTextureUV(uv,14);

int TexIndex = 14;
float weights] =
{
  0.01, 0.02, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01,
  0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.04, 0.02,
  0.04, 0.08, 0.16, 0.08, 0.04,
  0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.04, 0.02,
  0.01, 0.02, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01
};

float offsets] = { -4, -2, 0, 4, 2 };

if(Mask <= 0.01) return SceneTextureLookup(uv, TexIndex, false);

uv *= 0.5;
for (int i = 0; i < 5; ++i)
{
  float v = uv.y + offsets* * invSize.y * Mask * BlurStrength;
  int temp = i * 5;
  for (int j = 0; j < 5; ++j)
  {
    float u = uv.x + offsets[j] * invSize.x * Mask * BlurStrength;
    float2 uvShifted = uv + float2(u, v);
    float weight = weights[temp + j];
    float3 tex = SceneTextureLookup(uvShifted, TexIndex, false);
    res += tex * weight;
  }
}

return float4(res, 1);

add two more inputs:
**Mask **- a 0-1 value that can mask pixels from the blur (i needed to only blur pixels close the the camera, hence the scenedepth node; play around with the 0.005 multiplier to modify the distance; its kinda a cheap depth of field effect…)
**BlurStrength **- guess what :slight_smile: dont overdo it though, its not increasing the sample count, only the ‘offset’ of the blurred pixel

have fun!

4 Likes

Hi, thx very much for this post process blur. !!
i use it to replace the old gaussian blur epic just removed out of the engine …
is there a way to improve the quality of the blur. ?
kind regards
stucki

is it possible to do this with material texture param instead of texture object or scene texture?

Does anybody have the latest version, getting errors when trying to implement this.

Pasting the code into the forum removes a few bracket-char’s, I’ve copied the code I am using as well as a picture. Make sure you update anything WRT the arrays, the [ and ] chars.

-=-=-=-
float3 res = 0;

//new - we need to fix uv coordinates like this (still seems to be a bug in 4.21)

int TexIndex = 14;
float weights[] = { 0.01, 0.02, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01, 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.04, 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.16, 0.08, 0.04, 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01, 0.02, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01};

float offsets[] = { -4, -2, 0, 4, 2 };

uv *= 0.5;
{
float v = uv.y + offsets[i] * invSize.y * Mask * BlurStrength;
int temp = i * 5;
{
res += tex * weight;
}
}

return float4(res, 1);

-=-=-=-

Month later and this has been really helpful. Is there anyway to tweak the quality of the blur? new to shader development but I got it working, thank you so much

The offsets and weights arrays will control the sizing of the blur as well as the strength. Offsets control how far away/off the current pixel you are sampling, and the strength is how strong (lol) the effect is.

There is also a blur-strength variable that will show up as an input in the material graph. The arrays will control the overall spacing/impact of the effect, but these are ultimately multiplied by BlurStrength near the bottom of the code.

Somehow this filter makes the image brighter (Even if I set blur strength to 0):

pre-blur:

blurred:

Any suggestions? :frowning:

1 Like

heyy I’m uncertain why some sort of brightness gets added but after using it myself and experiencing the same problem, dividing the output by 2 or multiplying by 0.5 restores the original brightness.

I’m really curious if people still use this code.

Below is the code I use in UE4.27 and thankfully it works, thanks so much guys!

UPDATE: A different setup I found that works better in my case (Made by Marvelmaster)
This version is made as material function and makes it possible to use a texture instead!
Notes,

• Switching the texture sample outputs in the function to RGB/RGBA creates a blur in color.
  • Exposing the 0.001 variable lets you increase/decrease the blur strenght.
    (to not work in decimals I recommend changing the value to 1 and dividing by 1000))
float3 res = 0;

int TexIndex = 14;
float weights[] = { 0.01, 0.02, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01, 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.04, 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.16, 0.08, 0.04, 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01, 0.02, 0.04, 0.02, 0.01};

float offsets[] = { -4, -2, 0, 4, 2 };

uv *= 0.5;
{
float v = uv.y + offsets[i] * invSize.y * Mask * BlurStrength;
int temp = i * 5;
{
res += tex * weight;
}
}

return float4(res, 1);

1 Like

How to use them?I don’t know where is the code

The code is in the above posts. Scroll up and you should see screenshots of the setup using a Custom node.

This Effect is not Gaussian Blur I see at Photoshop.