Game crashes on launch on some devices

Ok, so I fixed the MSAA issue in Metal and then it runs out of memory after a few frames of rendering. However, if I pass -nomsaa (looks like there is no editor property), then it runs in Metal as well. This is with what will be Preview 4 (except for my MSAA assert fix), so I believe this has probably already been fixed in OpenGL and it just needs my fix for Metal (which will be in Preview 5). I know we aren’t doing anymore 4.10 releases, so try the next 4.11 Preview and let me know if it is still failing for OpenGL.

-Pete

Great news Pete. Thank you very much. What if i build 4.11 from source… Will your fix be there before the next launcher preview version release?

The fix should show up in GitHub in a couple of hours at the most (MetalTexture.cpp) and it will be in the next preview as well.

Actually, I talked with some other of our Metal guys and my fix is not a good one. However, I just noticed in your device profiles that you have set r.MobileMSAA=2 and r.MobileMSAA=4 in some profiles. Change those back to 0 or 1 and see if that works for your device. That may be all you need to get a release out for now.

-Pete

I’ve set r.MobileMSAA= 0 for the profile of my iPhone 6 Plus and I still get a crash if i launch the complex maps of my game. It doesnt crash if i launch some simpler maps I have. Tried with Metal both enabled and disabled. Still crashes. The log file is identical as the one i have initially posted in this thread and it ends abruptly.

Hello Pete,

Any updates on this issue?
Version 4.11 Preview 4 haven’t solved the issue for me

Thank you

I am unable to reproduce this with the project you sent with preview 3 or 4, so at this point, it seems more likely you are out of memory on the device with the larger levels. Do you have a crash dump from the device? That may show us at least which thread it is crashing in. Other than that, I don’t have any ideas because I just can’t make it happen. Could you be more specific on what Xcode you are using to build with, whether you are building from PC, have you modified the engine yourself at all?

-Pete

I will gather as much information I can and I will update this thread in the next few hours.

So here is all I could gather:

Basic Information

• Test Device: iPhone 6 Plus
  • iOS Version: 9.2
  • Unreal Engine version: 4.10.2 Launcher version
  • Project packaged with UE4 Editor
  • Engine is not modified at all
  • Development Machine: Mac Pro running OSX Yosemite

Additional Information

My game does not crash on an iPad 3

Project’s Settings

See attached images

After i package my app within UE4 Editor I deploy it to my iPhone via iTunes. I couldn’t find a generated crash dump. I only upload the app log. I used these steps to look for the crash dump (Retrieving Crash Reports on iOS)

I am trying to run the app on my iPhone via XCode. I will update this thread with any additional info

UPDATE

Also sea previous post…

I am uploading a crash dump I was able to fetch after building and running the app via XCode.

I am also uploading 3 instrument traces for Allocation, Opelgl Es and GPU Driver ( link:https://www…com/s/nblx2iafq1u1bxq/instrument_traces.zip?dl=0)

[Crash Log][1]

77330-excresource_oraclesandmyths_2016-02-04-181508_tassoss-iphone.log (65.9 KB)

Romfeo,

UE-25199 has been resolved as fixed. The changelist for this fix was 2851163 currently, 4.11 Preview 5 is on a changelist of 2858478. You shouldn’t be running into this issue any longer.

Thanks!

I have my game set to r.MobileMSAA=4 and I see some crashes in Testflight on iPhone 6s plus. I’m thinking this it the same problem. You said you had a fix but not a good one. Has this been fixed in 4.11?

stated to set r.MobileMSAA to 0 or 1, not 2 or 4. UE-25199 has been resolved for 4.11 release.

Thanks!

Hello, am having a constant crash after splash screen with 4.17.2 on my iPhone6 if i set r.MobileMSAA=2 and r.MobileContentScaleFactor=2. My scene is a complicated one.

Any chances this bug came back on 4.17.2?

,It was never a bug in my case. My device was running out of memory.