Game Art and Design Courses

Way to twist and turn what I said mate.

I never stated Cinema 4D can not do the job, I stated it may never had been designed for game design and was more suited with filmography, I suspected the creators behind the software made it with cinematography as their primary focus as it’s name suggests. Not trying to auto-assume its only for what its title name states. If you can make content for video games using Cinema 4D, fine, that’s great, but I personally believe it was more suited to work more efficiently with filming and animation than gaming, or at least from what I experienced with the software.

I also believe Maya is better equipped for CG animations than game development despite its popularity with the gaming industry, whereas 3DS Max seems better suited for gaming better (the rendering and cinematic feature don’t feel as strong as Maya thus far). I don’t know about Blender.

Definitely an expensive route. Still trying to find how I will be able to pay off my student loan debt. But that’s another story entirely…

Game Industry in UK is quite the largest so far. You may try the computer game art skills. It is important to the fast-moving computer games industry on modules designed with the help of some key professionals.

That’s one of my main concerns. I don’t feel like I want to get my self into a loan at the moment.

If you can find a better way, I’d highly recommend taking that path. The college/tech school path is a financially risky endeavor and despite what some may say otherwise, you could find better luck through self-education.

Sure, college has it’s pros that can help you MUCH easier and earlier as well as secret tips to get hired by certain companies much more easily, at least that was the case for me at the Art Institute of Atlanta, but ultimately its stuff one can still acquire or do without on their own if they can devote the time and perhaps money to learn it on their own. In this modern age, for game dev and perhaps even animation, one can go very far with the power of the internet.

I’ve never thought I’d ever get so far, much less to work with some AAA devs earlier than I originally thought just by working freelance or on my game project alone, all at my very own home. I was practically able to use my game as it’s own portfolio to attract programming jobs relatively easily. And to be honest, I don’t really plan to work in a AAA studio as much as I initially wanted to in the past and would rather start my own company and build from the ground up as well as help other indie companies scattered around my local area under the radar.

One problem I also noticed to is that some used to aim big for the AAA companies and never paid much attention to the indie ones and I was also guilty of this mindset myself. I used to think Georgia barely had a gaming industry, but woe and behold, I discovered there’s plenty of them hidden from the radar, and one of my college professors help me discover even more.

Some argued there’s no gaming industry in Massachusettes and I used to believe it too (aside from Irrational Games) - turned it that theory too was horribly wrong. There’s many more indies hidden under the radar.

It also seems many of these smaller companies mostly work remotely online now (like my current internship at a tech industry company).

Thanks for the feedback on this.

I will go for the self-learning / tutorial route for now.

BTW any recommendations on training sites.

I used Lynda and Digital Tutor (now known as Pluralsight).

Lynda has a lot of stuff, but some of the topics are a bit outdated, Digital Tutor is quite good, I used it for Cinema 4D.

There’s also CGSociety Workshop, the gnomon workshop and for Maya, there’s 101 tutorials on AutoDesk’s Youtube channel.