Forced login on forums

I also got the administrator rights pop-up.

There is no point in complaining about Google for their privacy policies, , when something like this happens, intentionally or not. Google does not want admin rights on my OS!
Why on earth would UE4 require admin rights on my computer?
Do not do things like that. There will be serious flag-raising with things like that. Especially if you are an US company, when by now half the world knows how US companies are pushed towards collecting user data.

Would you please just provide a way for me so that I can go straight to my projects and start working like in Unity. I am non interested in a Launcher with marketplace content, cross-linking, newest news, forum access in the launcher or whatever else you want you Launcher to be capable of. I just want to go straight to my project and start working. That’ all.

Double-click the uProject file … it will open the launcher in the background but you can close this while the project launches. Not the best solution but it is a work-around while Epic looks at the requests.

Thanks, the work around is good.

A software asking for admin rights…or you can not launch it!
This is really strong tobacco. It does not get any lower. What is next? Asking for all my passwords and bank account log-ins to be allowed to use your software? Seriously…
They will have fest over at the other engine’s forums about this.

I don’t think it is that bad and Epic said they are looking in to it. Please calm down and take a little bit of a breather and see what Epic says. Making comments like this is not really going to help the matter or speed up resolution of the problem.

Thanks.

Bump so that this does not get forgotten, because I surely did not forget it.

Any updates Epic?

I’ve read through this thread and there are some very good points made in regards to security concerns, limited functionality exposed to the end user with SSO [since been partially or fully fixed], among other general concerns.

With that being said I would just like to bring up a suggestion based off the original post in regards to whether or not Epic Games ever has plans to support an “Official Unreal Engine vBulletin Mobile App” for Android & iOS devices? http://www.vbulletin.com/en/mobile/

By doing so that might relieve some of the pain for us users who like to check-in on the forums while out and about on either their smart phone or tablet device(s).

Though I do understand that would most likely add an additional layer of complexity of back-end infrastructure and management for most likely a pretty small minority of the overall Unreal Engine Community User Base.

Re admin rights, this dialog pops up when an update (to the engine, the launcher, or an installed game) requires updating or configuring system software components. This was the case with the launcher update points out in #21. We avoid these updates as much as possible, but sometimes they’re necessary. I’ll see if someone from the launcher team can jump in and provide more detail.

Re single-sign-on problems, these were caused by changes we made to try to reduce unnecessary login prompts. We’re working to fix the new problems. It has been more of a game of whack-a-mole than we expected. FWIW, I’m experiencing the problems on my PC too.

As The Britain points out above, the Launcher asks for administrative privileges due to security settings and requirements on Windows.
In the most recent cases, the launcher needed permissions to update the shortcut icon on the desk top. In the last launcher update there were additional permissions needed to update the pinned item in the task bar icon as well as the task manager.

What we certainly need to do is a better job of is clearly identifying what privileges we are asking for and what we will be doing with them as points out above. We’ll update our UI with that info for users in an upcoming release.
We’ll look closely at future changes that require admin privileges and make sure we give the user options and information on the outcome of their choices wherever possible.