For those who suffer from Visual Studio IntelliSense slowness

Normally C++ errors make sense (you can search for the number in msdn or stackoverflow)… the major problem I have saw is when there is a missing semicolon, ) or } you get “weird” errrors, but you should get familiar with those errors, then they will make sense een if now not, at the end the compiler sintaxis is a finite state machine, somewhat very predictable, if it can compile source, then there is a error in the source for that FSM.

Yeah this happened to me. Spent 3 days trying to install VS2015

Awesome. This is really helpful, thank you! :slight_smile:

You should forget about error log in VisualStudio and instead focus on the Output window. There you’ll find the real errors.

–kg

Did visual studio 2017 have faster intelisense? Because i started a project a couple day ago and the intelisense seem lot fast than VS2015.

Yes there is a massive difference in compile times and intelisense speed in the latest version of UE4. It may be partially caused by VS 2017, although I wouldn’t give Microsoft much credit. Primarily this has to do with the recent conversion of UE4 to the Include-What-You-Use or IWYU model for compilation.

I’ve had nothing but trouble with intellisense in 2017 until I installed the VAX trial. Constant file parsing on edits was the norm. It seems the biggest reason for that was that I was still including Engine.h in my class headers though, and although I was using the occasional IWYU it was a source of constant headaches.

FWIW, this *also *works in VS2017 (at least in the community edition). This, combined with the faster compile times while using Include-What-You-Use, makes a day working in C++ so much more efficient than before!

Now Switch to Visual Studio Code for fast intellisense

Wow man, I was getting it sometimes working, sometimes not but this instantly made it work all the time! Super Thumbs up!

Where can we find this file? I found it in my respective UE_Engine_Version folder, but it seems to be read-only, even as admin. I think I could breach this somehow, but that doesn’t seem to be the right thing to do

How to do this in UE 4.24+ ?

I see these two files:

UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\ProjectFiles\VisualStudio\VCProject.cs

UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\ProjectFiles\VisualStudio\VCProjectFileGenerator.cs

But they dont contain the NMake line mentioned above…

Search for “// Write IntelliSense info” should be in line 969
add this line :

VCProjectFileContent.AppendLine("    <AdditionalOptions>/Yu</AdditionalOptions>");

before :

VCProjectFileContent.AppendLine("  </PropertyGroup>");

i didn’t Test this but this should how u can add that

My laptop is a Core i7 9th Gen, 32GB RAM and I was having issues with IntelliSense being incredibly slow with UE4/Visual Studio 2019 under Windows 10.

I then realized that antivirus software plays a role in this. Adding both UE4 and VS 2019 in the Windows Defender exclusion list fixed the problem, like so:

Add an exclusion to Windows Security

1 - Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
2 - Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings, and then under Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions.
3 - Select Add an exclusion, and then select from files, folders, file types, or process.

At the last step I chose **process **and added:

devenv.exe
UE4Editor.exe

Slowness problem is gone. No changes in settings for UE4 or VS 2019.

More on this: Add an exclusion to Windows Security (microsoft.com)

2 Likes