Foliage collision + foliage bend on collision- In engine feature?

Yes. Priorities. It really sucks sometimes that they are not employing a few hundred million developers. Then we could have everything we ever wanted in just a few days.

I got this to work, but does anyone know how I could possibly modify it to keep the grass in the bended position for some time (or permanently)?

Not using that method, since it’s based on an influence sphere that’s determined by the material itself.

The only other way I can think of, would be to generate the ‘influence’ in a Blueprint and feed it by that. The blueprint itself would have to keep track of the ‘influence’ areas so to speak and modify it over time. Plus you’d have to convert it to world-space coordinates that the Material could actually use in the vertex shader. You’d essentially be generating a volume of scalar values on the fly, with varying granularity until you can a reasonable performance / graphic compromise. It’d also be pretty inefficient since you’d have a lot of ‘wastage’ area.

So in short, no, not easily.

I cant get this to work, I dont know how to do it!!! Please someone help me! Im very new to Unreal so I cant get it to work! I tried putting this materials nodes into my grass material but I dont know where to link the last multiply because the image doesnt show and I cant find the Spherepos node! Please help, I cant find any foliage collision tutorials, thats the first one I found!

Hello, been following this thread as I was really interested in dynamic foliage collision as well. The physics driven systems look really impressive until I saw how the NaughtyDog guys did their dynamic foliage in Uncharted4. They spoke about physics solutions being way too heavy for a game. So as far as I can tell it sounds like they’ve gone for a material approach instead. You can watch the video here: Technical Art with Naughty Dog - Pt. 3 - YouTube. perhaps to get the grass/foliage to stay down after passing through would be to leave a trail of spheres/capsules behind the character that also influence the material bending, then scale down over time to let the foliage lift up again?

@richst42 make any progress with this?

Hi, maybe these tutorials will help. Jonas has a bunch of very informative tutorials on various aspects of UE4.

As far as getting grass/foliage to stay deformed after moving through an area, I was able to get some results but this still needs more work. Hope that helps!

Hey I found this tutorial which does the same thing pretty much but explains the whole process.

Your welcome

Hi guys,

I checked out this forum to create a foliage system that works with the foliage tool and does react physically.
the systems contain:

• physical Foliage bending (spawning and despawning physics actors)
  • reaction like forces and impulses (explosions)
  • A vertex shader to add more floatyness to the leaves
  • Fire propagation
  • Foliage trampling by heavy objects

check it out: Foliage systems, Bending, Fire propagation, Trampling - Content Creation - Unreal Engine Forums

I tried this, but for some reason my mesh is behaving like this when I get close. Any idea what’s wrong? Does the UV have to be built a specific way?

@GreasyExcretion I believe that’s because you need all of it to have soft edges/1 smoothing group. You might also have split tangents.