Fix SSR please

Ah, but it’s not possible to place things in the editor in my case, as everything is created at runtime when the player builds it.
So I’m still searching for some way to have both inside and outside look acceptable at the same time… not successful so far with sky light :smiley:

Woa!

IIRC reflection captures can be re-captured from native code but they cause a spike. I can’t remember if the spike comes from capturing all the probes in the scene but I think capturing a single reflection capture would cause a not-so-horrible spike which might be acceptable in your case

@Maximum-Dev will using PPV + ambientcubemap blend between one and the next when you move from one PPV to the next? I don’t think it will. but even so, what about blending between more than 2? reflection captures already have that functionality as well, so the more a reason to repurpose them to contribute to lighting :slight_smile:

So to end the derailing the SSR thread. Maximum-Dev describe feature that gives diffuse from reflection captures. I would like also see that feature in the engine.
At some point there was possible to enable that feature with command line r.diffusefromcaptures=1. But it’s not supported anymore.

yeah we’re having this conversation all over again :smiley:

btw r.diffusefromcaptures was removed on this commit:

Change 3055904 on 2016/07/19 by .Wright
Reflection environment normalization improvements
	...]
	* Removed unused r.DiffuseFromCaptures

wonder why they decided to drop it :frowning:

Yes you can set dimensions and blend radius for each PPV and the cubemaps will blend in each other like the rest of the PPV features. But the only problem with this as I said is that PPV cost a lot already and adding more PPVs (tens or hundred) are really gonna be bad. But if Epic or someone manage to make this work, all the benefits! :slight_smile:

ok yeah apparently multiple PPV ambientcubemaps can be blended properly (tested 3 of them).
however there’s also the issue that PPVs affect everything you see, not just what’s inside of the volume. so unless your game is full of doors it really doesn’t do the trick

Are you sure you checked off the “Unbound” box? If that’s checked off PPVs only affect inside the volume bounds.

“unbound” only means it’s active wether you’re inside it or not.
doesn’t matter if the volume is bound or unbound, the PPV has no volume filtering of any kind. so if the PPV is active it affects all geometry inside and outside of it, because… it’s a post process applied to the scene

PS. yes unbound was off

Oh yeah. Once you go within one PPV, you see the settings applied to the whole level even outside the PPV bounds which makes it useless to use it for localized cubemaps. :confused:

If I recall, it didn’t exactly work by that point anyway. It wasn’t really getting good results, so people weren’t using it. I guess since Unreal’s refocused on baked lighting around that time, they didn’t see the need to support better dynamic lighting.

I’m curious what they were referring to by thisthough. Things such as IBL have been bare minimum to dynamic lighting since many years ago.

And then same thing happened again. Showcasing Photoreal Lighting while they suddenly remove the Physically Based Units for Directional and Skylight from Trello.

It doesn’t make sense to showcase texts that mean nothing in engine.

Yeah I remember someone time ago talked about this, other engines in the sides render until the complete side, while here for some reason is clamp to a ~75% of the horizontal size rater than the complete size or a 95%

If you want to see how SSR looks like without edge blending go to ScreenSpaceRayCast.ush and change lines.

float2 Vignette = saturate( abs( ScreenPos ) * 5 - 4 );

to

float2 Vignette = saturate( abs( ScreenPos ) * 100 - 99 );

or even

float2 Vignette = 0.0;

YOu can even play with different values for x and y.