[Feature Request] Stuff I miss from Unity

For #4 you can tell the launcher where your projects are to have them show up, so for assets that are marked “Add to project” you can tick the box show all projects and add them to UE5 projects, for content marked “Create new project” you can navigate to your vault cache, find the content that’s there, copy the content folder of the stuff you want and merge it with your project. Thats all the launcher does.

1 Like

@iLLo, I suppose you haven’t used Unity in a meaningful way. I was like you before I used it, so no worries.

1. I meant to say updating Scene View in real-time during “Play”. This way, I can monitor what’s going on in the scene without leaving the camera and it’s very very annoying.

2. Hiding Actors and Deactivating Actors are different. Hiding will just hide but it will interact with the rest of the scene. Again, I meant to say Deactivating as if it doesn’t exist in the scene.

Cheers!

2 Likes

@ixicalibur, thanks for the tip. I appreciate it, however, it feels more like a hack than a tip though. ^^

Among other things, #2 is causing huge pain for me. To disable an actor temporarily, I have to delete from the scene and revert back and it often causes problems. It seems simple enough and I’m not sure if anyone from Epic watches this thread.

In my opinion, Epic is far better in many ways but one thing Unity is doing better is community support.
There is one popular thread in Unity that has many valuable feedback.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/workflow-case-study-show-us-your-pain.637552/

Can we perhaps start a thread like the above?

1 Like

I switched my project recently to UE 5 for a while and deeply feel the same issues, hopefully the Deactivation function will be implemented in the near future!

Me haz glue code!
Add to YourProjectFolder/Plugins :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihmt22q1fs6gcqm/UE5_ActorDetailUtilPlugin.zip?dl=0

Can be used both at editing time or PIE, supports Undo system:

DeactivatorUndo

1 Like

Oh, wow! interesting. Thanks for the sharing and I’ll give it a try.
Cheers!

UPDATE:
I just gave it a try in UE4. Deactivate seems to work but Activate didn’t work.
Besides, it’s hard to know whether the actor is activated or not from the WorldOutliner and also we should be able to activate/deactivate a folder and its children.
Anyway, I appreciate your efforts and it seems feasible and I hope Epic will implement it into the Editor properly in the near future.
Thanks.

I did not use this on Unreal 4.
What happens when click “Activate” there?

I also miss the fact that you don’t constantly have Hot Reload issues & having to “restart the editor” is not a solution to most problems. :slight_smile:

Pressing Deactivate will deactivate the actor fine. And Pressing Activate unhides the actor however, it doesn’t move. My test actor looks like this.

And a strange thing is, pressing Activate on an actor without pressing Deactivate first, will break the actor; the actor will not move as if it’s deactivated.

I think Activate and Deactivate need more sophisticated control, remembering, and restoring states.

Thanks.

I often forget that I have to notify the Rendering thread after a renderer property of an Actor have been modified.
The function also was improved a bit, will check “state” of the actor before modify.

This one should work now on your version of Unreal 4:

2 Likes

Hi, Bruno, I just gave it a try, but unfortunately, it didn’t work. Activating did not turn on the visibility of the children components. I guess it’s pretty close and I’ll probably be able to study the code and fix it myself. I really appreciate it. I wouldn’t know where to begin if weren’t for your help.

In the meantime, I guess it’s easier said than done but it will be much easier to use if…

1. It would be convenient to Activate/Deactivate multiple actors or on a folder for convenience.
  2. There should be some sort of visual feedback on the world outliner that the actor is deactivated.

Anyway, it’s a great utility and it should be part of the default UE. In my opinion, it is a simple change but very useful. Right now, to Deactivate, we have to Deactivate the Actor and all its children components but in my opinion, deactivating the Actor should implicitly deactivate all its children without explicitly deactivating. It will make Activate/Deactivate much easier. But I guess this will require an additional flag on an Actor and it is something only Epic can do.

Cheers!

In code I cast to UPrimitiveComponent class.

Maybe it didn’t work on your actor because should cast to USceneComponent instead.

You forgot, We can not edit terrain at run-time in Unreal engine, In unity it’s a piece of cake.

I really wanted to have in-game editor where people can sculpt terrains but Epic never listened I hope one day we could have that feature. Using voxels is an overkill.

1 Like

Lack of this feature honestly puts me to shame in front of my peers who use unity, they see me as a madman for still sticking with Unreal. It’s not a difficult feature to add for Epic even Cryengine had run-time terrain deformation so does lumberyard/O3DE (it’s pretty performance hungry in Cry and Lumberyard but it’s there and that is what matters).

2 Likes

I don’t really miss Unity a lot. The bigest flaw Unreal has is the content folder, users can’t make cleanup and place asset in separate folder in content folder without screwing everything or make unreal crashing. I use to buy a lot of media on marketplace and it’s a pain to have all them in content folder. Another thing, Unreal don’t have C# support, why they don’t create a bridge that will convert C# code to C++. I know that some people use some alternative but I would like to see Epic natively include this.

Wow someone remembers that :astonished:
Due to the lack of native code access back then it was more of a proof of concept or tech demo rather than being a production-ready tool. To a certain degree it was just meant to show that it was possible with a lot of unrealscript and material magic working together.
Before the Landmass and Water plugins came around the corner for UE4 I was kinda optimistic that maybe something would change with UE5. But seeing how much love these plugins got from Epic I doubt they are just going to replace Landscape. At this point the options are either wait for UEX, use a marketplace asset or roll your own implementation (if you don’t want to use a different engine).

I think the biggest problem is getting Epic involved with the community. Although I see many Epic videos, it seems nothing has changed regarding the community support from UE3 days where Epic just left things to users to help themselves. I hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

I’m curious, is that actually any different with Unity?

Back when UE4 just came out Epic Devs would sometimes respond to threads. It felt already pretty rare back then but these days that never happens anymore (at least that I’m aware of). These days we get to see nothing but community managers (no offence). Maybe there should be some general Q&A streams as well every now and then so that all these off-topic questions from the regular streams also have a place to live in. Even with pull requests on GitHub or issues on the issue tracker it feels like you don’t really know what Epic thinks about them. One of my pull requests just celebrated two years of sitting around with no change or comment (and there still are no merge conflicts). I have no idea why it wasn’t accepted or merged yet, I can only guess that it’s super low priority.

Well, Unity has much more sub-forums and there is at least one community manager constantly answering questions and I often see direct involvement of the actual dev. Community managers are there to relay the messages to the dev and often invites the dev to answer. I can’t say they are doing adequate jobs to all forums but it’s more than we can ask them for.

One other problems with Epic forum is that, compare to Unity, it’s not granular enough. There are so many random topics in a single forum and it’s not easy to follow. Therefore I don’t really enjoy spending time in the forum. Epic should learn a thing or two from Unity. They are miles better in that regards. If Epic makes the forum a more enjoyable place to spend time, users will be a bit nicer to each other. I feel that Epic forum is bit more toxic than Unity’s overall.

2 Likes