Externally referenced warning (yes it's still here)

You mentioned that you’re working on in both Mac and PC environments… Are you syncing these files via Perforce or other solution?

Both OS’s are using the same drive. Whether it’s through Parallels or dual-boot (pure windows) I still get the Externally Referenced errors.

Since we do not support Parallels, exclude using that in the debugging process. The following thread discusses a lot of what we’ve covered here, but you may spot a difference in your situation that I may have missed.

For instance, one thing they mention is that you have to open a copy of the original project in the latest version you are trying to use in order for the “name change” workaround to work (As opposed to simply opening the current project in a later version of the engine.)

Here is the link: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/152144/ue461-externally-referenced-on-basic-map.html

I wasn’t using Parallels in the debugging process.

Also when you say “original project” what do you mean exactly?
I tried copying a folder, I tried duplicating projects inside and outside the editor. Neither worked.

For example, if you launch UE4.10 and choose to open a project from a previous version, be sure to select the option of “Open a Copy” instead of overwriting the original previous version with UE4.10.

Since this thread got very long, I want to clarify some things (since the Dropbox link is dead).

You have maps in the Maps to always cook list, right? If you clear and reset that list, then everything is fine?

We have a fix for this, where the paths are stored like /Game/Maps/… but it is coming in a little hot for 4.11. It sounds like you have a workaround (reset the list), is this correct?

Josh

You can also manually reformat the names into the long package name format.
/game/maps/

By default, leaving the maps list blank in the Mac side, it cooks all the maps in. On the Windows side, though, leaving it blank resulted in map load failure. The workaround for it was to manually list the maps to include in the package. Clearing and resetting the list broke it again. I don’t know if this is a result of the externally referenced bug or not since my entire project is plagued with the errors when I try to do a Windows build.

If you reformat the names to be /game/maps/yourmappathhere.umap. Then it should work on all platforms.