Existing Unrealscript Project

@Gedden

With that much into the project I’m not sure why you would want to switch engines. I really don’t get your reasoning of why you’d want to switch it to Unity either. Just complete your game in UDK and publish it. Epic isn’t dropping UDK.

I will kinda agree if its true that they kinda stopped updating UDK, and it would been nice if they added unrealscript since its been used so long but…sometimes the old saying out with the old in with the new. Maybe its a bit abrupt but better they do it now to get the community ready then later.

Unity is ok. though honestly have found its not entirely easy to work with for newcomers. I used Unity to make some virtual reality demos for the Oculus Rift for myself. the problem is the pricing if you have the money sure you can afford the 75 bucks a month, but to me i dont have a ton of money… UE4 is just 20 a month and right now it is a far more advanced engine then Unity is. Unity 5 is coming yes but they still did not bother to offer a competitive pricing model that UE4 and cryengine is doing, and while cryengine is lower. i tried the UDK…the forrest level, honestly i was NOT wowed like i was in the UE4 sample content. Cryengine is nice. but to be honest i think UE4 is more advanced… and thats not a bad price to work with. 20 a month you get access to it and the source code right now…without having to wait a year…in fact we get to play with it for 20 a month before any other big name UE4 game has even been released! thats actually pretty amazing when you think about it

because usually in the case with new tech they use it for their flagship game or another 3rd party big name AAA project and only the big name people can use it to start out with. THEN after a few months once their games have been released then others may get access

Epic is allowing anyone who signs up to have direct full access to UE4 today…BEFORE any major UE4 game even came out!

I think that in itself is pretty mind blowing and i understand the issues people may have with coming over from UDK.

but you know i think this is the future. UE3 and UDk was showing a little age anyways and with the coming of Virtual reality we really need to push graphical fidelity its not all about graphics but it does help to be able to render a world with great detail.

So i very much welcome UE4 and i hope more people here will keep a positive attitude towards it. Some changes may be made but you know sometimes thats life. If you keep doing the same thing youve always been doing how are you going to change? :-p.

I say bring it on!