[Epic Official] Read this if you are experiencing FPS drops after the 4.1 patch

Hi

Im also experiencing huge framerate drops. I struggling to run the engine along with any of the example maps with an average speed of 3-5fps. I have tried adding the suggested line above and also ran QFE but no luck.

I have attached dxdiag and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

[link text

Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
12 GB RAM
dual monitors
NVIDIA GeForce GT 545

Effects Cave frame rate ~ 24 fps

1. Clarification: should the INI change be under [Startup] or [SystemSettings]?

2. Given my system specs what should the expect framerate be for the Effects Cave?
    :: Effects Cave :: 45 - 50 FPS

I noticed in the log that the engine is indeed selecting the correct graphics driver.

NOTE: We only used 4.1

@anonymous_user_0ea1d740

Can you please tell us what your average fps was in 4.0.2 for comparison? Thanks

I’m not sure if it’s at all related, but I suspect it may be the case, even a simple project makes my system . And I mean huuuuuuumm.

I’m following along with the Hello World, which is basically an empty scene, and it has my system fan spinning.

Hi

My average FPS in 4.0.2 was anywhere between 50-70fps depending on which map I was loading.

However after going back the framerate now in 4.0.2 has also dropped to 3-5fps. The launcher app is also running sluggish in terms of fps and Im not sure what has happened for the FPS to suddenly drop so alarmingly.

I have tried uninstalling everything including the example projects but again that made no difference.

Thanks

My problem is a little bit different. My framerate is “fine”. That is to say that the ability to render frames to the screen is not a problem. What is a problem is how many frames reflect my mouse position and mouse input. I will move my mouse a normal amount and the cursor will not move at all. Or! I’ll move the mouse a normal amount and the cursor will move a normal amount but it will jump from one position to another. Finally mouse clicks will be missed or delayed. Panning the screen will cause drops as the mouse position is updated. It all seems to come back to mouse input.

I can confirm this because keyboard input is flawless. No dropped frames, no dropped input, no dropped keystrokes. I’ve double checked this via diagnostic tools to find out what’s registering and what’s not.

When I ran NVIDIA diagnostics, it didnt’ show any more activity on the card with UE 4.1 running than with it not running. At least UE 4.02 showed SOME activity, but still allot of that activity was showing up on my integrated graphics.

DX Diagnostic also shows that multi-threading is completely broken. While the processor is running on multiple threads, my graphics are not. My graphics are running entirely on one thread for the launcher and one thread for the editor. This is not good. My NVIDIA GTX 750 is multi-threaded however my NVIDIA integrated grpahics are extremely limited.

I’ve attached the DX Diagnostic

[link text
[link text

@anonymous_user_0ea1d740

I notice that you have two video cards in your system. Can you confirm on your Nvidia control panel that UE4 is using the GTX 780M and not the HD Graphics 4600?

Thanks

@

If you have tried the solutions posted here to no effect, then it sounds as if you have a separate issue from the majority in this post, and I would like to focus on it individually. Can you please repost everything you provided as a new question on the AnswerHub?

Thanks

If anyone still has the issue with the code thingy, here is a copy of my contents of ConsoleVariables.ini which worked for me, even though the instructions were pretty clear. :smiley:
; ConsoleVariables.ini
;
; This file allows to set console variables on engine startup (In undefined order).
; Console variables also

can be set in engine ini files (e.g. BaseEngine.ini, DefaultEngine.ini) in the [SystemSettings] section.
; This file should be in the 

source control database (for the comments and to know where to find it)
; but kept empty from variables.
; A developer can change it 

locally to save time not having to type repetitive
; console variable settings. The variables need to be in the section called 

[Startup].
; Later on we might have multiple named sections referenced by the section name.
; This would allow platform specific or 

level specific overrides.
; The name comparison is not case sensitive and if the variable doesn't exists it's silently ignored.
;
; 

Example file content:
;
; [Startup]
; FogDensity = 0.9
; ImageGrain = 0.5
; FreezeAtPosition = 2819.5520 416.2633 75.1500 65378 -25879 0

[Startup]

; Uncomment to get detailed logs on shader compiles and the opportunity to retry on errors
;
r.ShaderDevelopmentMode=1;
r.GraphicsAdapter = -2

My case:

I have a laptop with dual GPU, one Intel 4000 with 1 Gb, one Geforce GTX 660 M with 2 Gb. My FPS was between 4 and 6.

I made the change in Consolevariables.ini and Defaultengine.ini

Not work

Then I just realize the Geforce GPU will work only in Fullscreen mode, I setup the editor for fullscreen, But it didn’t works at the first run, then I closed and opened again, It begin to works but crashed several times, then I went to Nvidia site and I got the latest drivers for my GPU, run again and…

IT WORKS!!!

Now i have 20-25 FPS (medium)… some demo i have 30-32 and other i have 18-20, but it is enough to work and enjoy this powerful engine.

I think EPIC / Unreal team must to be more clear about this kind of subjects… I used 3 hours to resolve this technical issue. I was pretty close to cancel my subscription. Just something like this:

Laptop users with dual GPU:

• Be sure to run in fullscreen mode to enable the gaming GPU.
  • Install the latest drivers for your GPU.

If I had this 2 simple lines i was able to solve this issue in 2 mins and saved a lot of time.

Hello,

I am marking this as accepted for tracking purposes.

Please , I’m Having a problem with UE4 v4.8.3 and its that its using the Intel HD 4400 GPU instead of the ATI Radeon 8670m … i tried installing the latest drivers and setting the UE4 editor to high performance in the switchable graphics and everything … and even installed windows 7 but nothing changed…

i’m attaching the LOG of my project along with the DXDiag information file

[link text

Hi AbdoEmary,

This post is from 4.1 and is extremely outdated. Please make a new thread in the bug reports section and we’ll be happy to help you there.