Engine Features Preview 3/07/2015

[=;247862]
And why can’t you be more helpful and having all the info he has given you, post it on his behalf on answerhub, and here just let him know that you did it? You must be aware that he knows about answer hub.
Twiddling thumbs is so much easier.
[/]

Free engine, Free support. Can’t believe how entitled some people feel :confused:

[=xenlock;247892]
Free engine, Free support. Can’t believe how entitled some people feel :confused:
[/]

This.

Epic are one of the most helpful, friendly and transparent companies I’ve ever had the pleasure to communicate with. When the engine was subscription based, I happily gave them my money…there aren’t many companies I can say that about.

[=xenlock;247892]
[/]

So now one can’t expect let’s say, quality software from them because they give this soft for free right?

[=;247862]
And why can’t you be more helpful and having all the info he has given you, post it on his behalf on answerhub, and here just let him know that you did it? You must be aware that he knows about answer hub.
Twiddling thumbs is so much easier.
[/]

Hi , I realize it looks like we’re just being lazy by asking someone to re-post on the AnswerHub and include a link back here, however, it’s a procedural thing that we’re mandated to do especially in the case of a bug. The AnswerHub is one of our means for tracking bugs among other things. We want the user to report it (vs entering it ourselves) so we can contact them in the event we need more information about their particular system specs etc. vs the machines we’re testing on. Once it’s in the AnswerHub, we test it then resolve or report it. If reported, we are notified when/if it gets fixed by a developer and then update the AnswerHub post accordingly so that the anyone experiencing the same issue can track the issue in addition to the individual who initially reported the bug. We encourage you to post problems on the as well because often times other users have fixes, workarounds, or other answers where it may turn out the issue wasn’t truly a “bug” to begin with.

Since I don’t think you are the only one who has wondered why we don’t take the time to post a question from the to the AnswerHub ourselves, I hope I’ve explained sufficiently the reasoning behind it. Thanks for your feedback.

[=;247949]
So now one can’t expect let’s say, quality software from them because they give this soft for free right?
[/]

so they need to get their devs to posting on your behalf as well? small amounts of time add up to large amounts of time that could be put to better use, giving us a more stable and enjoyable experience with their product, which btw, they could and would still make a hella living off of without dealing with the tripe that stems from situations like this. in a true team environment, (which btw they have allowed us to be a part of) you would be directed to do the exact same, if you want your problem solved you go through the proper channels, so they dont have to waste time looking through obscure post’ to make sure they didnt miss anything “important to the whole of humanity”. think about it this way, TDoro was given the means to cut out a middle man in the resolve of his issue.

[=;248452]
Hi , I realize it looks like we’re just being lazy by asking someone to re-post on the AnswerHub and include a link back here, however, it’s a procedural thing that we’re mandated to do especially in the case of a bug. The AnswerHub is one of our means for tracking bugs among other things. We want the user to report it (vs entering it ourselves) so we can contact them in the event we need more information about their particular system specs etc. vs the machines we’re testing on. Once it’s in the AnswerHub, we test it then resolve or report it. If reported, we are notified when/if it gets fixed by a developer and then update the AnswerHub post accordingly so that the anyone experiencing the same issue can track the issue in addition to the individual who initially reported the bug. We encourage you to post problems on the as well because often times other users have fixes, workarounds, or other answers where it may turn out the issue wasn’t truly a “bug” to begin with.

Since I don’t think you are the only one who has wondered why we don’t take the time to post a question from the to the AnswerHub ourselves, I hope I’ve explained sufficiently the reasoning behind it. Thanks for your feedback.
[/]

Excellent answer.

I’ve always felt another reason was important, too: If the person doesn’t care enough to file an official report, perhaps it wasn’t really a problem. (It might be a one-off thing, or it might have been something they found they were doing wrong, or it might have been their anti-virus messing with them.) It can save a lot of tail-chasing if they have to put forth just a little effort to report it.

[=;248452]
We want the user to report it (vs entering it ourselves) so we can contact them in the event we need more information about their particular system specs etc. vs the machines we’re testing on.
[/]

Hi, thank you for your answer.
And what would the problem/difficulties be if moderator filled that bug on answerhub, whilst giving details of the user who originally reported that bug?
To me it can have only positive aspects:
a) bug is reported - so you can improve your product
b) bug is correctly filled (I assume moderators can do/should do proper job on filling bug reports) so other users can see how they should properly fill bugs - something like exemplary examples.
c) the user who posted this bug here gets note about moderator’s actions. User feels so much better, and really helped, not just pointed out to the bleeding obvious.

That’s seem to me better solution/behavior/policy.

Woow guys, SLOW DOWN a bit!

I’ve posted here because I was thinking is faster for devs to get a feedback on new release (feedback = bugs + suggestion).

If you noticed, I have 2-3 suggestions also. I’ve posted 3 bugs so far on Answers, but I was just in a hurry and put everything here.

[=;248608]
Hi, thank you for your answer.
And what would the problem/difficulties be if moderator filled that bug on answerhub, whilst giving details of the user who originally reported that bug?
To me it can have only positive aspects:
a) bug is reported - so you can improve your product
b) bug is correctly filled (I assume moderators can do/should do proper job on filling bug reports) so other users can see how they should properly fill bugs - something like exemplary examples.
c) the user who posted this bug here gets note about moderator’s actions. User feels so much better, and really helped, not just pointed out to the bleeding obvious.

That’s seem to me better solution/behavior/policy.
[/]

These are good points for streamlining the process. There is a limitation currently where the person who the post was created for would not receive automatic email updates as things progressed unless they had subscribed to the post. The person who created the post would be receiving the updates instead. I am looking into if there is a way to post on someone’s behalf, then make them the owner of the question, but it may involve some website changes.

[= ;248754]
These are good points for streamlining the process. There is a limitation currently where the person who the post was created for would not receive automatic email updates as things progressed unless they had subscribed to the post. The person who created the post would be receiving the updates instead. I am looking into if there is a way to post on someone’s behalf, then make them the owner of the question, but it may involve some website changes.
[/]

Hi ,
Thanks, that would be great! Because that would means that other users also can do it instead of moderators. Every little helps.

With all due respect, , you just seem lazy. Both Epic devs and Epic support staff have their hands full all day, hunting down forum posts for bugs to report on behalf of people is a task they should not have to do. There is a protocol for reporting bugs and it clearly says “report them on AnswerHub”. Posting bugs on the forum is “wrong”, and it’s just Epics goodwill to answer and consider bug-related stuff on the . I believe has done more than he should have in humoring your inane suggestion and I would feel sorry for Epics support staff if this sort of task would fall onto their shoulders in the future.

And no, I am not advocating “free support = bad support”, I am saying you don’t get to put your feet on the table and expect the waiter to go as far as sticking the cocktail straw into your mouth for you no matter how much you pay.

@ (It’s weird to type my own name to adress someone alse XD)
Be carefull, might lead to users getting lazy and mods doing nothing else but filling bug reports all day/night long.

[=;248848]
With all due respect, , you just seem lazy. Both Epic devs and Epic support staff have their hands full all day, hunting down forum posts for bugs to report on behalf of people is a task they should not have to do. There is a protocol for reporting bugs and it clearly says “report them on AnswerHub”. Posting bugs on the forum is “wrong”, and it’s just Epics goodwill to answer and consider bug-related stuff on the . I believe has done more than he should have in humoring your inane suggestion and I would feel sorry for Epics support staff if this sort of task would fall onto their shoulders in the future.
[/]

No, I just want people to be able to help each other, not just expect to behave as protocol says.

[=;248848]

And no, I am not advocating “free support = bad support”, I am saying you don’t get to put your feet on the table and expect the waiter to go as far as sticking the cocktail straw into your mouth for you no matter how much you pay.
[/]

Ah, yes, that typical attitude I’m so familiar with from my own motherland…
No, but I’d like that waiter to help that person (out of his own will, not because protocol says so) if that person made a mistake because he is first or second time in this place.
With your attitude the person stands there helpless, waiter looks at her and thinks - I’m not helping her, this is not my job, let her stay there for as long as she wants, silly cow.
Yeah, well familiar with that attitude…

[=;249316]
@ (It’s weird to type my own name to adress someone alse XD)
Be carefull, might lead to users getting lazy and mods doing nothing else but filling bug reports all day/night long.
[/]

What you’re basically suggesting that people are lazy and no good.
What I’m basically suggesting that people need help and pointers from time to time and it is very nice to be able to provide that for them.

I think even in a paid-contract environment, the users are expected to follow the sop (standard operating procedure) to report errors eg by vising certain url and key in the information. Just follow the rules (do not go overboard in suggesting which render the things easier for one party, but much harder to another).

[=;249445]
I think even in a paid-contract environment, the users are expected to follow the sop (standard operating procedure) to report errors eg by vising certain url and key in the information. Just follow the rules (do not go overboard in suggesting which render the things easier for one party, but much harder to another).
[/]

Yes, and in most cases people will follow the rules. I’m talking about situation when someone for some reason didn’t do it, and allowing others to be able to help him.

When will be more Steam things for blueprinting built in?

Cheers

[=;249450]
Yes, and in most cases people will follow the rules. I’m talking about situation when someone for some reason didn’t do it, and allowing others to be able to help him.
[/]

Don’t want to steer this thread off-topic but I’ve seen the support guys going out of the way to help people on several occasions. Your whole hand-holding and spoon-feeding approach is a very poor way of educating the person facing the problem and will also consequently hurt the turnaround time for other tickets. In case you didn’t notice, there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of open tickets and only so many people to deal with them. You’ve gotta draw the line somewhere. Fortunately, the support guys and community here is willing to absorb this pain. Hopefully, you can follow your own advice and start creating/answering tickets on AnswerHub if you’re not already. Cheers.

[=xenlock;249719]
Don’t want to steer this thread off-topic but I’ve seen the support guys going out of the way to help people on several occasions. Your whole hand-holding and spoon-feeding approach is a very poor way of educating the person facing the problem and will also consequently hurt the turnaround time for other tickets. In case you didn’t notice, there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of open tickets and only so many people to deal with them. You’ve gotta draw the line somewhere. Fortunately, the support guys and community here is willing to absorb this pain. Hopefully, you can follow your own advice and start creating/answering tickets on AnswerHub if you’re not already. Cheers.
[/]

Where do you see that I suggest spoon feeding?

I personally think this is a little ridiculous to be arguing about this for as much as Epic goes out of their way for all the developers so let’s take it down a notch guys :slight_smile: It’s very rare for me nowadays to ever post an issue here unless there is already a previous discussion going on and/or if the answer hub post hasn’t received any attention. I used to always post here first but if I ever have an issue to report, I always go to AnswerHub first and the support staff especially over the past year have come on to address every single issue I’ve ever posted to the devs. Every single one. No matter how frustrated I get, it always gets resolved.

AnswerHub is needed by the developers at Epic so they can properly track each individual issue so you can’t expect it to gain visibility in all cases here on the . Now, if I ever post here first for some reason, I immediately copy the text and create a post. Takes a mere minute or less to do that and doesn’t waste my time and by me taking that extra step, makes me feel better in return that it will get noticed faster, especially if it is a critical issue.

@-, I have an idea of how to bring the two together to add that extra step if required and I was actually going to reach out since it relates to another idea I’ve had with the Crash Tool that catches Exceptions in the engine. For the website, what if you add another option next to reply that says maybe “Convert To Ticket”. Since our UE accounts are tied to AnswerHub, it could possibly pop up a quick dialog to ask the user what Category, maybe a rating of 1-5 in how critical the issue is (this would need to be added but would be a great feature), a combo box with engine versions and a textbox for a subject. Then that way, if a user wants to take their report from the and make a ticket in no time, this would resolve that issue and have a much tighter integration into your reporting tools. I think the idea of adding in a rating (color coded) relating to the level of criticalness is a great idea and could be a great way for even simple filtering when searching issues on the AnswerHub . But this relates to my other idea which is the same, but the ticket gets originated from the Exception Tool. Hope these ideas help!