Engine Features Preview 10/31

Static Lighting on Foliage - Does mean, that UE4 will handle with huge amount of foliage with better performance?

[=Wozner;173303]
Static Lighting on Foliage - Does mean, that UE4 will handle with huge amount of foliage with better performance?
[/]

Doubt it.

The with massive amount of foliage are complex shaders, which are used for everything.

Besides that, static lighting + foliage = lots of memory consumed.

I am in love with the debugging tools! yay. Thanks for the news Epic! With all realtime content for my game it will really help out to have powerful runtime debugging tools

btw 13 texture samplers available refers to what an artist has available in a typical material, the other 3 samplers are used up by built-in features (lightmaps, shadowmaps, etc).

[]
Will the PC OpenGL renderer ever support more than 13 texture samples? In OpenGL, the number of texture samples appears to be limited by hardware rather than an arbitrary limit of 13. The limit appears to be 32 on most cards released in the last few years: GPU hardware info database launchpad
[/]

Hopefully, yes. Bindless textures will remove the limit for future hardware. Newer drivers and hardware support 32 samplers but not all, so we can’t move forward.

[]
IMO the image for the foliage doesn’t show any foliage, don’t you have a before and after shot of foliage time?
[/]

The trees in that image are using the foliage system, and they have fully static lighting (no shadowmap rendering cost). It’s the LandscapeMountains level.

[]
Material Editor too ? or always grey checkboard map before see the result…
[/]

Scalar and vector parameter default values can be edited in the material editor and see the result instantly in the 3d viewport. Editing anything else in the material gets the usual grey checkerboard still.

[]
Naa at OS X its stuck at OpenGL 4.1, even with OS X 10.10, and UE4 is specifically tears down features to support that problematic implementation that the inventor of super expensive graphic workstations brought to the table… When used elsewhere the Engine can utilize OpenGL 4.3 and that is more on par with DX11.
[/]

Yep, the useful GL versions for us are 3.2 (D3D10 SM4 capability) and 4.3 (D3D11 SM5 capability). Latest Mac supports only 4.1, so not good enough, plus the majority of macs are still on 3.2 drivers.

[]
[/]

No, static lighting doesn’t scale up to huge levels. It does mean that medium scale levels with foliage can be rendered much more efficiently, because lighting is precomputed.

I don’t think you realise how happy you make me Epic. You’re like a good wife <3

Thank you very much for that, i know , it’s not a big but any plan about material previewer instantly updated ?

[=;173979]

Yep, the useful GL versions for us are 3.2 (D3D10 SM4 capability) and 4.3 (D3D11 SM5 capability). Latest Mac supports only 4.1, so not good enough, plus the majority of macs are still on 3.2 drivers.

[/]

So even if the relevant extensions are available on OSX in later hardware, then unless it’s supported by GL 4.3 core then Unreal doesn’t use it?

[=;174003]
Thank you very much for that, i know , it’s not a big but any plan about material previewer instantly updated ?
[/]

I doubt they can ever make it go away, since the shader itself is being compiled in the background. The new is basically not forcing recompile for changes that don’t need it.

Will instanced foliage need to use the same unwrapping for lightmap UVs across LODs (as was the case in UE3)? I’ve been taking advantage of unique LOD unwraps for foliage assets since I discovered that it was a , so it’s a big concern at juncture.

[=;174011]
So even if the relevant extensions are available on OSX in later hardware, then unless it’s supported by GL 4.3 core then Unreal doesn’t use it?
[/]

The Engine cannot use those features later then 4.1 on OS X as OS X has no way to access them. And 4.2 and 4.3 brought some. And even the supported OpenGL versions are problematic.

It’s a year old test but look at the Apple column.

The support for static lighting on foliage is great. I’m using the foliage tool to place random props around a level that is lit using static lights because it’s far more practical than placing each individual prop by hand. Also, the props will automatically adapt to changes on the underlying terrain/static meshes.

Just downloaded the 4.6 preview, and according to the material editor the texture limit is still 16. Is that an oversight?