[Editor Feature Pull Request] Rama's Instanced Static Mesh Editor Feature

If you can gain such a significant performance boost that “easily”(of course credit to your hard work). This has to be a standard feature. Sincerely hope that the staff take some time and review this ASAP.

It depends; Instanced meshes in fact are only really usefull when the bottleneck is on the CPU side of things. The majority of Fps drop you see in editor is mainly due to the processing of selecting too many actors and the action of applying the outlining shader to them. Just keep in mind that Instanced Meshes aren’t a miraculous solution to everything; it drops CPU overhead, but the GPU gets all the heavy work and it may even make your game lose performance on the Gpu side depending of what you’re doing.

In my 2nd video I specifically tested the boost to the in-game performance, not the editor-selection.

I wouldn’t be offering this pull request if the FPS gain was only in the editor :wink:

So yes I thoroughly tested that :slight_smile:

I tested the in-game fps improvement multiple times in the second video! You can review my results there any time!

Reposting to be clear what video I mean:

**Video 2 ~ Editor Integration**

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uToLHLrSbDw

:)

Rama

Add Your Voice

If you’d like to see this be a standard engine feature, add your voice on Github!

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/917
(must be signed into your Github account to view this link)

Rama

Is there a reason you use ISMC instead of HISMC?

And would it be possible to manipulate a single instance once the component is created?

Any news on this pull request? :slight_smile:

Epic closed it because they said they are changing how the Editor accesses vertex information in near future builds, and that once they make those changes I should re-open the pull request after modifying it as necessary.

I’m not entirely sure when these vertex changes are taking place, but I’m expecting it will involve using Nvidia’ PhysX vertex data a lot more directly!

Thanks for asking!

:slight_smile:

Rama

Jesus, they should have integrated this long ago…

They should have integrated this even before UE4 in UDK.

Moar performance plox!

can i use this plugin for mobile???

Did this vertex-related change occur in one of the recent patches, or are we still waiting for this?

guess this just died in favor of ???