Dynamic physical ocean

Very nice!!! Congratulations!!!

Very nice, now you just need a little splish splash!

amazing work!!

Started playing around with adding wakes to the boat and as much as I wanted to stick to a mostly blueprint approach, drawing to a Render Target with a canvas is working pretty well so far.

Anybody know how to draw a material to a canvas, it would help me skip a step?

Canvas has a DrawMaterialTile function, that could serve your needs.

Your overall approach is quite expensive though as you’re reading from waves in the texture to drive your gameplay - before getting too involved with what you’re currently doing, I would consider changing the technique so that you’re writing from the gameplay code to the texture instead :slight_smile:

I know is all expensive, I’m mostly using it for rapid prototyping. The wave calculations can be changed to a mathematical approach at some point and bypass the RenderTarget read part of the project. The wakes so far are only one way where the actors draw to a texture that is then used by material

I’m actually doing to build the rest of the game until we get nVidia’s WaveWorks or UE4 has a built in water/ocean system.

Although when I was working in XNA, which just wraps DirectX 9, the render target read was not that expensive and you could get to it’s buffer directly like you can with a texture.

Added a video tutorial on how to add buoyancy to pawns

https://www…com/watch?v=kkxJeyG2whw

[=;113503]
Added a video tutorial on how to add buoyancy to pawns
[/]

Awesome! Thank you for making a tutorial on , great work! :slight_smile:

I always like some good fluid dynamics.

I’ve been meaning to make a fluid simulator one day.

Good work.

Wow, the tutorial video is so useful. Thank you so much for showing the community how you achieved . , would you mind if we made a page for your video on the Epic Wiki?

I don’t mind. I had already attached the video to my other wiki entry as is a disconnected part 2. technique works for anything you can get a height value from.

Hi ,

I have a wiki page for your new video, here is the link: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

[=;114160]
I don’t mind. I had already attached the video to my other wiki entry as is a disconnected part 2. technique works for anything you can get a height value from.
[/]

is your ocean material in first tutorial can wave? mine is like freezed.(i put it into teselated(waterplane)plane)

[=ihavenick;114209]
is your ocean material in first tutorial can wave? mine is like freezed.(i put it into teselated(waterplane)plane)
[/]

Did you attach a panner to your UV for the textures and are each texture using a different speed.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the material, it looks great :slight_smile:

Only problems I have with all my water shaders are shores…

http://puu.sh/aMuXQ/c507fe7789.jpg

Do you have any idea how I could smooth correctly transitions between water and landscape without having to use transluency and depthfade? (because it removes specular lighting…)

No I haven’t tackled shores yet.

[=;114304]
Did you attach a panner to your UV for the textures and are each texture using a different speed.
[/]

Opps i forgot the speed input.So sorry.But there is no big waves.Where we will set big waves ?

[=ihavenick;115466]
Opps i forgot the speed input.So sorry.But there is no big waves.Where we will set big waves ?
[/]

There is one or two parameters included in his material you can tweak to obtain big wave :slight_smile:
Also make sure the plane is big enough, and not only a heavy-scaled little plane shape.

[=;115413]
No I haven’t tackled shores yet.
[/]

I just found a hacky way to do what I wanted actually…

I create 2 different materials and place 2 big planes.
On the first plane, I apply a “far” material which is opaque and masked. If the distance from the camera is < 5000 for instance, the opacity mask is 0.

On the second plane, I apply a “near” material which is translucent and create my shores and tweak a bit the reflection so it doesn’t look that bad…
I then fade it so the transition from the near to the end material doesn’t look bad.

That way I have great reflections on the far of my ocean and nice transition between water and landscape seen from near.

Thanks alot for that 30min video tutorial. Amazing !

It seems that the OceanManager class is not included in tutorial? So basically I have to modify HeghtMapReader, I mean add those new functions?