During Play in editor (PIE), is there a shortcut to simulate ESC without stopping the game?

there’s actually a simpler answer now, for future readers:

I don’t think the solution you posted will work in 4.13. This DebugExecBind has been removed in favor of an entry in the FPlayWorldCommands class: UI_COMMAND( StopPlaySession, “Stop”, “Stop simulation”, EUserInterfaceActionType::Button, FInputChord(EKeys::Escape) );

To disable or re-bind this you need to open up the Editor Preferences and click “Keyboard Shortcuts” and navigate to the “PIE/SIE” category. The command you’re looking for is “Stop”.

I stand corrected. I missed the answer posted by j4k4x above. I’ve tested this and can confirm assigning “Stop” to something other than “Escape” releases the escape button for debugging purposes. Thanks for pointing this out.

Thanks works great :smiley:

"To disable or re-bind this you need to open up the Editor Preferences and click “Keyboard Shortcuts” and navigate to the “PIE/SIE” category. The command you’re looking for is “Stop”. "

Not working in 4.14. Key overwritten, editor restarted. Still quitting PIE when hitting escape.

EDIT: Seems to work only on maps created after the binding was changed

Thanks !
Works in 4.16.3 (both dev & shipping)

This works as of 4.19 but possibly earlier:

1. Open the Editor Preferences window (Toolbar → Edit → Editor Preferences)
  2. From the list on the left, select the Keyboard and Shortcuts
  3. In the search bar at the top, type Stop
  4. In the results, find the Play World (PIE/SIE) heading and the option Stop - Stop Simulation
  5. Change the Stop - Stop Simulation option to a key which doesn’t interfere with your in-game controls.

Is there a way to do this through a config file so it can be added to version control and apply to an entire team?

I expected to be able to add
.KeyBindings=(bCtrlDown=False,bAltDown=False,bShiftDown=True,Key="Escape",CommandName="StopPlaySession")
to Project/Config/DefaultEditorKeyBindings.ini but it appears this doesn’t work for some reason. Not even with other bindings set in Engine/Config/BaseEditorKeybindings.ini

I finally tracked down how to share keybindings with the team, see this post: https://.unrealengine.com/t/how-to-save-and-share-editor-key-bindings/428480

At the top left of the screen, select the ‘Edit’ menu >> ‘Editor Preferences’ >> ‘Keyboard shortcuts’ tab on the left >> Under General Keyboard Shortcuts, search for the 'Play World (PIE/SIE) drop down (or type ‘stop’ in the search), in there you will find a ‘Stop stop simulation’ key input. You can change or delete this key input.

If you found this solution helpful, please mark the post as resolved.

4 Likes