Draw call discussion

I’ve decided to make things modular for the first model, all of the parts carry on a single material, and due to that, higher quality.

But judging from even what I’ve saw on the Chrysler building model from GTA IV, and even that model have the poly tiles.

In a nutshell, the building process is just like the road/large floors process, a bunch of tiles with the same material. Interesting, but I wonder now which method is hardware heavy, polygon “excess” in order save texture size, or “unecessary” large textures and multiple materials in order to save polygons.

I’ve decided to make things modular for the first model, all of the parts carry on a single material, and due to that, higher quality.

But judging from even what I’ve saw on the Chrysler building model from GTA IV, and even that model have the poly tiles.

In a nutshell, the building process is just like the road/large floors process, a bunch of tiles with the same material. Interesting, but I wonder now which method is hardware heavy, polygon “excess” in order save texture size, or “unecessary” large textures and multiple materials in order to save polygons.

I decided to take an screenshot from what I’ve did, which one looks better? The left with the traditional matching polys on sides, or the right, which reduces the polycount by making the side walls as an separate object, resize along the UV (since there is free space now), thus having an wall for 3 floors instead of one.