Does anybody know how to fix d3d device being lost?

I am getting the dreaded “Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0020 - ‘INTERNAL_ERROR’)” on a Windows 10 x64 with NVIDIA RTX 2060 GPU and AMD Ryzen CPU. I am running UE5.2. All drivers updated to latest.

I can cause the crash every time just by renaming folders in the project. But it is doing it at random times too.

The problem has only just started after I switched to the Studio driver and changed NVDIA control panel settings trying to improve performance (I have switched the settings back but it is still happening). I also switched from Vulkan (that was crashing when rendering) to use DirectX11. but I did a few other things too so it might not be caused by any of these.

This is very likely because of a hardware or hardware-related problem.
The kinds of problems that cause these errors are:

• motherboard BIOS bugs
  • motherboard hardware bugs
  • graphics card BIOS bugs
  • graphics card hardware bugs
  • corruption on hard disk
  • additional management software (fan controllers, GPU boosters, etc)
  • bad hardware (bad RAM, bad CPU, corroded connectors, microcracks, bad cooling, …)

To debug this, you’ll have to try the same project on another system. If the same action works fine there, then it’s very likely a hardware problem. To debug that, you’re going to have to go through the hardware stress test procedures that you can find on sites like tomshardware and such – they take forever, they require lots of boring long tests, and they may or many not help you isolate the problem (as opposed to just detect that, yes, there is a problem!)
It sucks, but there’s no better option. Unless you can afford to just buy a new computer and hope that one does better :slight_smile:

Seems a drastic assumption to have to buy new computer. Esp since its been running fine until today, and I think it is more to do with settings I changed (I changed a lot last night trying to get the rendering working).

FYI since resetting the NVIDIA graphics card back to default settings for the “unreal engine” program it hasn’t happened again. Fingers’ x’d it was something in there it didn’t like.

I’m glad it’s working for you.
Computers are so complex, nobody understands all the bits of the pipeline at the same time, so “it works for me now” is the best we can hope for sometimes :-/

1 Like

What worked in my case is to set scalability “on” in target hardware, i also set directx 12 as default rhi.
First I changed Tdr Delay and disabled nvidia mpo like someone advised but this didn’t solve the problem. I didn’t revert these settings back to default though.
By the way I have a gtx 1060 6gb and haven’t geforce experience.
I3 7100.
Unreal Engine 5.1

I also got this issue on Windows 11 using NVIDIA 4070 with latest game ready drivers and UE 4.27. I don’t think its a windows OS version issue