Daz Characters in Unreal Question

It’s not the best. You can build a pipeline to bring in DAZ characters and fix the myriad issues with incompatible materials (especially when it comes to eyes and hair) but the models just have a lot of materials in general with textures per region. Then you need to be sure you’re not taking in too many morph targets because even if you’re not using them in game, they all have to be loaded which impacts your load time and the Morph Target Compute event each frame.

This is possible to mitigate however. I use the morph targets as a way to edit characters at runtime, then I use a plugin from the marketplace to merge the morphed targets into a separate skeletal mesh to reduce that Compute event. Then I pack all of the textures into another atlas to reduce the texture loading overhead but the draw calls remain.

Depending on what you plan to do with the DAZ characters it can work if you can work out a pipeline and design the rest of the game around the immodest load they put on your scene. I can’t really put more than 4 full-featured characters on screen at once before my frame rates start tanking, so the optimization pass is extremely important. I haven’t started working with large crowds of people yet, but I doubt my current digital human solution would be appropriate for it.

iTween : Free, smooth, procedural object animation
easyCSV : Read data from any CSV and put them in an easy-to-access string map!
Runtime DataTable : Import and export game data to and from CSV or Google Sheets while your game is running!

1 Like