Copying game mechanics from other games. Legal or not?

I wish to know if it´s ok to copy game mechanics from other games. I mean for exampe, some game mechanics are universal. Like in most shooters you reload by pressing “R” and you jump by pressing “spacebar” and crouch by pressing “C” And I assume those mechanics are free to use for anyone.

But what about more specifik mechanics that are unique for certain games? Like in Hitman you can drag bodies, And use disguises. Or like in some games there´s a special cover system. Is there some patent or copyright involved or can anyone copy them for their own game?

But what about more specifik mechanics that are unique for certain games? Like in Hitman you can drag bodies, And use disguises. Or like in some games there´s a special cover system. Is there some patent or copyright involved or can anyone copy them for their own game?

Sounds Legit. You will be programming it all, right?

Imagine not being able to create a diablo-like inventory. Most things are a copy of a copy of a copy.

3 Likes

Some things yes, some things no. For a while it was illegal to implement a loading screen mini-game for anyone not published by Namco. Now the patent has expired so everyone is free to do so.

Most game mechanics aren’t patented and are used so widely they would be impossible to patent. Only very specific game mechanics get patented and protected, but the only way to know which ones and whether or not you may violate that patent and what you can do to be different enough not to violate it is to talk to a patent lawyer. If you don’t, you could be sued, though these types of patent suits are generally not served at the indie developer, they’re generally exercised on companies that can actually pay remuneration. This is NOT LEGAL ADVICE, just a general observation.

This article is about ten years old now so some of these patents have probably already expired, but it should give you an idea of the kind of specificity that may actually be granted a patent when it comes to video game mechanics: Patented Game Mechanics That Might Surprise You - GameSpot

Runtime DataTable : Import and export game data to and from CSV or Google Sheets while your game is running!

GSheets Operator : Interface with Google Sheets, add new and delete old sheets, edit columns and rows, make in-game spreadsheets and more!

easyCSV : Read data from any CSV and put them in an easy-to-access string map!

iTween : Free, smooth, procedural object animation

5 Likes

I think its safe, unless apple or ms copyrighted it. However it is really hard to copytight idea.

So if you do not copy everything from other game (together with movement, artstyle etc.) you are quite safe, your game could be inspired by and not copy of that other one.

Most nowadays shooters “borrowed” most ideas for quake, unreal 99 and other older games, so they cannot sue you for stuff they stole.

If you are making dangerously close clone of some game, use uncle goole, research how far you can go.

I could not have hoped for a better reply than this. Thank you so much!!

And also thanx to everyone else who took the time to reply to this question.

3 Likes