Converting project to 4.2 missing dll error

Hi sivan,

I am still getting a completely different error message when I try to reproduce this issue. After you have successfully build your project and opened Editor in debug mode through Visual Studio, what are exact edits that you are making to your code before trying to perform a hot recompile in Editor?

It is possible that this is related to special character in your Windows user name, but I do not have a way to test that, unfortunately.

I did some research on the mspdb120.dll file. There is very little information about that file, but I was able to find some information about a mspdb100.dll file from a previous version of Visual Studio. There are a few things you can try that may help resolve this issue:

1. Locate C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat and run it.
  2. Add %VS120COMNTOOLS% to PATH environment variable.
  3. Reinstall Visual Studio.

Also, if you do not need Visual Studio 2010, it might be worth removing it to see if that helps as well.

and one more thing: isn’t it possible that engine batch files require some tweaking at Program Files/Unreal Engine/4.3/Engine/Build/Batch Files? for example GetVSComnToolsPath.bat.

hi

I just modify text or comment out a few lines within BeginPlay function I added to game-mode (project is earlier compiled in VS containing new function!).

if project path contains a special character it is impossible to build it even from VS, so I use a short path C:/UE4/UE42CPPTest/

earlier I reinstalled VS, no help.

%VS120COMNTOOLS% does not help

I tried earlier all 3 vcvars bat files available around there, but no help. I found also little info o this dll, only 1-2 related articles on MSDN.

maybe uninstalling VS2010 could help, but it seems to utilize its own mspdb100.dll, and I’m a bit afraid of this sequence, I heard that it can cause problems removing/installing different version of VS on same PC. fortunately, I do not use that game engine any more I mainly used it for :slight_smile: so I think I will try it… is there any hint I should take into account?

isn’t it can be a windows SDK related problem?

maybe I did not mention, I have Win7.

thanks.

…and another log file I get when copy missing dll (together with other ms…dll-s) from …VC/bin/ to …VC/bin/x86_amd64/

in this case no error message box, only failed compilation because can’t open delayimp.lib

log

…okay one more thing: after I copied there those dll-s, compiling from VS fails, because wrong version of mspdb120.dll (after deleting them it works fine)

question: should be there an mspdb120.dll in the …VC/bin/x86_amd64/ folder? because it is actually missing after reinstalling VS 2013 express (for desktop), but it seems to be required here, and a specific version.

thanks

still no solution for missing mspdb120.dll?
got same problem…

Hi sivan,

Sorry for delay. We are still unsure of exact cause of this issue, but we would like you to try something to help us gather some more information that would be helpful. Please download the attached file and place it in an empty folder on your desktop. Remove the .txt extension and run file. It will create an Info.txt file inside folder. If you could upload that file back to this post that would be great.

Hi,

no problem. I could not remove VS2010 as I will need it soon. here is info file. link text

Problem Solved, re-install win8 + VS2013 EE from Download Visual Studio Tools - Install Free for Windows, Mac, Linux
worked for me

file you provided looks fine. Unfortunately it looks like you are using a non-US version of Windows, and that is not something we are currently able to test at moment. However, there was some work done in preparation for version 4.4 that will help UBT better handle special characters. Would you be able to try preview version of 4.4 and see if that helps with this issue?

We had another user who was also getting error about missing the mspdb120.dll file, and they were able to solve issue by re-installing Windows. I am not very fond of that kind of solution, but I wanted to mention it as a possibility.

Hi ,

I tested with 4.4pre, but same thing happens. I saw that reinstall tip, not smoothest :slight_smile: Currently I can live with this feature loss, once I will not need VS2010 I plan to reinstall VS and related stuff…

By way, there are a couple of windows SDK-s installed too (7.0, 7.0A, 7.1, 7.1A when I installed VS2010, and 8.0A, 8.1, 8.1A coming with VS2013) that could also disturb something…

Hi guys,

I’ve been following this because I was having same problem, but I think I’ve found a solution that doesn’t involve reinstalling windows.

Firstly, try running “vcvarsall.bat” using command line - if it fails you might have same problem as I did.

For whatever reason, I didn’t have C:\Windows\System32 in my PATH environment variable. After adding that to path environment variable I was able to run “vcvarsall.bat” successfully, and then after that in-editor compile function worked fine.

See these for a bit more information as well:

Hopefully this works! :slight_smile:

thanks, I tried those without success. by way, cl.exe and related dll-s are in different places in VS2013 and in VS2010 (and all my files are at correct places).

Hey everyone-

I just wanted to check to see if anyone is still receiving same missing dll error when trying to upgrade to latest version of engine (4.6)?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

We have not heard back in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Hi,

I stayed with 4.4.3 because I was busy with my non-UE4 works, but I’m now ready to return, thus uninstalled my VS2013EE, VS2010Pro, and WinSDK-s, then installed VS2013Community yesterday. Now I get no missing dll error, so this is fixed.

Now I get another error message when compiling from editor (after a little text message change similarly my test posted above):

Error LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘delayimp.lib’

Until now I have not found solution for it, please give me a link if exists. :slight_smile: Maybe engine should be reinstalled after VS again? Moreover, I will definitely reactivate my UE4 subscription when 4.7 (or 4.8?) is released because my tests go fine.

Hey sivan-

If you are experiencing an issue other than “missing dll” reported originally it would be best to create a new post for it. This will help in tracking different issues and ensure that your problem gets proper attention.

Cheers