Conspicuous lack of Recast and Detour Documentation?

Is there really not any documentation other than raw API documentation for using recast/detour? It feels like so many people have issues making use of a 3D/flying navmesh that they end up reinventing the wheel or creating their own A* and/or octree implementation instead of using the Recast/Detour components that are natively available.

Am I missing something? Is there some common/assumed documentation everyone “just knows”? …or is it really so lightly documented that creating one’s own A* and/or octree system is faster/easier/etc? I am not necessarily opposed to creating my own, it just feels weird to have a fairly powerful navigation and pathfinding system that is ignored in favor of naive/simple implementations.

EDIT: I should clarify that I’m referring to a solution(s) that uses the builtin systems in a relatively simple fashion. It feels strange to have so many full-featured systems/subsystems, but we have to ignore it all to create 3D path finding that includes Z-axis movement (read: flying).