Complex, Rpg-Style Quest System

Part 8

Link: [Eng] Complex Quest System: Basic Npc Setup and Player Interaction #08 - YouTube

Currenty everytime you want to select a different sub goal you would have to press “i”, click the desired sub goal and then hit “i” again to continue playing. That procedure is very uncomfortable and complicated, which is why we set up a key event to quickly toggle between the current sub goal in this epsiode. Additionally we work on a basic npc class that our player can interact with. For that we talk about the use cases of interfaces and add one to handle the communication between the player and various other classes like npc’s or objects.

Is there a chance you could create a short show case of the final Quest system similar to what you did with the inventory system?

Much Thanks and keep up the good work

Well that is not possible now since the series is still going on and i do not own a finnished project. My project looks exactly like yours if you follow the series so there is not to much to showcase. But i can do that when we completed the series.

So you’re building along with us! :cool:

Yes i do! Otherwise i would have been able to upload more than 2 videos per week :stuck_out_tongue:

Part 9

Link: [Eng] Complex Quest System: Adding Area Goals and Patrolling Behaviour #09 - YouTube

Right now the goals of our quests can only hint to a certain location in the world, but sometimes you rather want to lead the player to a predefined area and have the player find the exact position by himself. Because of that we add the ability to create goal actors for certain areas that are displayed by circles on the mini map. Also we add some patrolling behaviour to our artificial intelligence and add another sprite to indicate that the npc has a quest that our player can accept when talking to him.

Just wanted to say thanks for this and your previous series, I had recently put in the basics for inventory and quests in our project and watching the last series learned a couple of really cool things. Can’t wait to really go through this now! Thanks again awesome work.

Thank you and good luck for your project:cool:

Part 10

Before we implement a function to complete certain sub goals, we add an animation to our main widget so that the player is able to slide in/out the quest list.

Part 11

TexturePackV5: QuestPackV5

Today we start to work on one of the most important parts of the whole system which is a journal in which you will be able to see and receive information about all of the quests currently available, already completed or failed. Therefore we first import a lot of new textures and some fonds that we then use to design the sub widgets related to our journal.

Part 12

In this episode we wrap up the design of the journal widget by adding the detail window giving us information about the name, category, region, suggested level, description, reward and goals of a certain quest!

Nice introduction to UMG animations.

Do you plan to add some sort of dialogue for quest pickup/delivery after mission? And i noticed that the select sub goal button is visible when no subgoals are defined.

I do not really plan to integrate a dialogue system since that is a completely different topic that could be turned into a whole series. Yeah i also noticed that but then why would you define no subgoals? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for clarification.

One more thing in regards to quest selections. Selecting quests has the purpose to show the currently active quest in the minimap, and that’s about it, right? I ask because i do not use a minimap, so i skip those parts, unless there is something else to it. Also do you setup the system, so that you can complete currently unselected quests?

And i would add

Item rewards, and Quest Timer (ie. mechanic to trigger failed quest), and Rewards should be optional.

In video 12, shouldn’t the GoalsBox contain a ScrollBox, to list the SubGoals?

My journal layout so far.

Btw here are free buttons and backgrounds, fantasy themed …

Hey unit,
yeah the only thing that changes when you select a goal/ quest is that you will see the distance and dirrection to the location of the goal on the minimap. The system is already setup to complete subgoals of a quest that is not selected currently.
I will not add item rewards since that means that i would have to integrate an inventory/item system which i already did in my first tutorial series. The timer thing sounds really good actually and i will try to add that in a later episode. The rewards are already completely optional (just leave them at 0 and you will not receive anything). By the way your journal layout looks fantastic and thanks for the link ^^
For the goals box you do not need a scrollbox since the goals box i a child of the QuestDetailsBox which actually is a scrollbox. That means that there is infinite space for the vertical box (goals box) and because of that we do not need another scrollbox.

Part 13

In this and the next video we will implement the functionality of the journal and its subwidgets so that our data is generated and updated when certain events happen (e.g. level up or completing a goal).
First we fix a bug concerning the complete goal function and afterwards set up the update functions for the goal entry and quest entry widgets.

Slowly working my way through this. It’s a great series. Just wanted to say thanks/danke. :slight_smile:

I have a problem with visibility. I did everything just like you, but I can not see the CIRCLE nor the icons / sprites on the minimap. I can usually see them in the editor, but when I hit the game, they are hidden all the time has how to show me with pictures of how to fix this? Thank you.

This the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmi5KXeo6T0