[Community Project] WIP Weather & Water Shader

RAGE uses a 128*128 map for reflections and it looks good enough. By the screenshots looks like that would be a good number for us also.

Hiya, thanks for the tip, and sorry for the late reply. I tried setting my shipā€™s tick group to PostUpdateWork - the result I got was a much smoother sailing ship for me (the host) but a far, far worse result for the clients. (Constant jittering, even when idle!) Dā€™you have any suggestions?

Sorry to bother, but Iā€™m having 2 problems. If someone could help, Iā€™d greatly appreciate it.

1)No water distortion (both in and out of water).
2)Everything, even BP_BuoyantActor, sinks like a rock.

I followed the how-to twice using fresh 2d templates on versions 4.11.1, 4.12.1, and 4.12.3.
I also copied the level blueprint from OceanProject IslandMap, but still no love.

for 2:
did you just drag the BP_BuoyantActor out or did you also place the arrays for floationg points, you can also open the example map and copy the BP_BuoyantActor in the scene and paste it into yours and it should swim :slight_smile:

Hey ,
I just dragged it out. I placed no arrays for floating points whatsoever. (Never knew such a thing existed, or was necessary, tbhā€¦)
Thanks a lot for the help! Iā€™ll do as you suggest. Thereā€™s an Example Map 01 and 02. Iā€™ll try each of them.

Apologies for my retardedness. Looks like I overlooked copying the watervolumeā€¦
After pasting it in, and then copying and pasting a buoyant actor from ExampleMap_01 allā€™s afloat.
Thanks again, !

Hey guys I just found out that when the project initialization gets stuck at 45%, its compiling thousands of shaders. Now, once that is completed, I am able to use the project assets. But when I open any other project, I see that the initialization is again stuck at 45%. I have not added any recent plugins or assets. Does mean that for every project I open,the project shaders will be compiled? I tried opening the project again but it does not get stuck at 45%.Maybe because for project the shaders have already been compiled. Since I am using a mid range computer, compiling took more than two hrs for the project. I canā€™t wait for that long for every project that I create or open.
Please help!!
Edit: Sorry for the stupid question ! It takes time to compile but only 20 min. In case of the Project, the same thing took 2 hrs to compile?!

I am not 100% positive why it takes so much longer with project, but most likely is due to the complex material(s). Each one is 250+ shaders (600+ instructions), along with all of the other content included it does add up pretty quick.

Thereā€™s not much we can do about it since we donā€™t know which quality level you guys use (meaning multiple materials), but thankfully only happens once on the first load in a new engine version. It getā€™s really annoying for me too, I have a couple copies of the project for testing out different ideas along with the version, takes a long time when an update gets releasedā€¦

Open it up then go get a beer, helps pass the time :wink:

Each time the shader files (.usf) change (which happens in every new engine release) you will have to wait for the shaders to recompile in all of your projects :stuck_out_tongue: is not something new or specific to project.

Now if the compilation times are longer than usual then it could be an engine change or a bugā€¦ but personally I have not experienced that long compile times! are you guys saying it took hours to move from 45%? :eek:
Iā€™m on a i7-980x, could it be that my CPU is that much faster? because it takes less than 5 minutes (I just deleted the Intermediate folder and did a full recompile).

It sounds to me like is some kind of bug because even in my (old and under-powered as hell) laptop it takes ~30 minutes from what I remember.

Didnā€™t mean that it took that long for me TK, was just trying to sympathize :stuck_out_tongue:

Opening the kite demo? now that really does take an hour + to get past 45% on my machine, project not so much.

I have an i5-4670k and it takes 3-5min to get past 45% itā€™s after that point that takes much longer, usually 9000+ shaders to compile once the project opens. If I forget to turn off ā€œRealtimeā€ mode while they compile it can take 20+ min per project for me.

Hello ,

I would like to contribute what little I can if permitted!
First I would like to bring out some of the shortcomings of project. They are:

1. No actual interaction of meshes with the (eg. ripples)
  2. No waves on the beach.

1-}
For the first problem I have found a plugin made by some years ago. It seems to be dead now.https://.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?3609-Project-FluidSurface-Plugin
The last version was working for UE4.11 . I downloaded it and tried it. It installed properly but gave me an error on enabling it inside my project. See :questions/431644/fluid-surface-plugin-installation-problem

2-}
I have tried to make time- based lerping material which resembles a wave. It needs a lot improvement though, but I have done what I could do.

Now it needs the right water texture and a bit more perfection. One more thing that it does not have is variation of the waves. If anyone would like to make material usable please do.

Capture5.PNG

Here is my material https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_fds13M5wmPTEh5WWV5YktHVVU

Here is a video https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlrmnHuPUGlNhVl2pZBKpNANB7q7
As you can see I have applied my material on flat cubes and then resized 3 of them.

If you think it can be improved please suggest and help us improve the project.

Well, if you only go for visual interaction like foam, either depth fade based (inferior, because foam turns invisible when looking from side and also cuts of sharp at end of object overlap) or distant field based (distancetonearestsurface material node) are the ways to go.
If you want to go truly with mesh deformation then here: https://.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?111125-WIP-Real-Time-Water-Waves-and-Physical-Water-Surfaces&highlight=wave+particles (hard to implement)

I tried he distance field method yesterday, works great. You can have terribly high waves and foam is rock solid (like 1:50min foam crawling under the rock or big waves at 2:30min - end)

Hi there,

We have done a lot of work trying to get that plugin to play nicely with the project, and it is (partly) possible to do. The problem isnā€™t so much performance, but rather hard driver crashes when using it. A small grid is not too expensive to render, but using both the waves and the fluid surface on a large scale is. Hereā€™s a video I made to show @ it was working with project a while back:

co_HlXFJONA

As you can see the grid is pretty small, anything larger than that and my video drivers would crash both UE4, and Windows too in some cases.

There is something in the code that doesnā€™t work properly on DX11 (my best guess since it was ported from an older version), triggering a crash after a few minutes of use (with Nvidia drivers at least, I have a 980). I would really appreciate any help, if anyone can find out how to get it working properly I would gladly implement it fully into the project. It is very complex though, requiring C++ and HLSL shader code, which is why it has been backlogged for now. Both the FluidSurface actor and FFT are advanced techniques we are in the process of exploring further.

Thanks

EDIT: The error message you are getting just means the plugin code needs to be recompiled for your version of the editor. I wouldnā€™t recommend using the code provided from that thread anyways, there have been major changes to the rendering engine since that project was abandoned. I have a working copy (as of 4.9) in my git repo list, but that too may require further changes to get it working correctly with ver 4.11 or 4.12.

Hi, thank you for your work!
Is there some videotutorial? For example:

1. how to import the plugin
  2. how to create the sea/lake and setup the wave
  3. how to float the boat

Thank you,
have a good day
M

Hi there,

If you want to try it out, the download includes a fully working example. To add it to your project simply copy the plugin to your \ProjectName\Plugins folder (make one if there isnā€™t one already), and migrate the content over. Hereā€™s a step by step tutorial:
https://.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject/wiki/How-to-add-to-your-project

Thanks

Is it possible to set up with a custom player controller?

Hey ,

Iā€™ve been using your new sky for a few days now and been tweaking my settings constantly to get a day/night cycle that looks good at any time, but I am running into some issues that Iā€™m hoping you can help me with please?

The I have is with the skylight and shadow darkness etc. The shadow darkness seems entirely dependent on what time of day I initially press ā€˜Playā€™.
For example, if I set the time to 12 noon with my current settings, I have balanced them so the shadows are not entirely black, they are softer so you can see detail through them. So itā€™s 12 noon and I press ā€˜Playā€™ and get my nice ā€˜lighterā€™ shadows but when night time comes, itā€™s waaaay too bright.
So without changing any other settings I change the time of day to say 1am and it goes very dark. I press ā€˜Playā€™ and indeed it is very dark as intended, but as the sun comes up and goes through the day, my shadows are extremely dark.
So for some reason the skylight which is the factor in determining the shadow darkness etc is taking the initial settings from the time of day I am currently set to and using those no matter what time of day/night it is.
Iā€™ve done a lot of messing with . I have no other lights or fog in the scene, I am only using your sky for the settings.

Have you any idea why is the case? Is it me or a bug in your Blueprints or an engine?
EDIT: Thereā€™s a quick video below to show what I mean.
Higher quality vid now:
[video]https://vid.me/SJE7[/video]

P.S - Iā€™m not complaining by the way, you and the communities work is beyond .

Hey no worries! I know you arenā€™t complaining, project doesnā€™t have the best (or in most cases any) documentation so no need to feel bad about asking questions, Iā€™m happy to help! :slight_smile:

Because recapturing the skylight is expensive, I set it up to only capture every x seconds/minutes, by default itā€™s 10min I believe, and also needs to be enabled in the Atmosphere section of the details panel. Itā€™s enabled by default in the demo project, but isnā€™t done by default in the blueprint.

So check that first, if it is set already then there might be a bug. Iā€™m away from my computer at the moment so canā€™t double check, but that should work when enabled.

Iā€™m working on a way to blend together multiple maps (captured from your game world at set times) that will eliminate the performance drops caused by recapturing the skylight, but more on that later.

Hope that fixes it! If not let me know and Iā€™ll see whatā€™s up.

Yes you can, in fact by default it uses a custom player controller. There is some custom logic added to it that you will need though.

Just make sure to copy any nodes into your own pc, you can find the one used in the project in the /ShipsAndExamples/CustomThirdPerson/ folder.

Hey.

Yeah I have all that set correctly. Iā€™ve tried the update interval at everything from 10 to 0.1.
It really does seem to depend on the time of day you start at as to how dark/light your shadows are. Very odd.

Hope you can shed some light on it (no pun intended) at some point. Maybe when your update comes through, it may just solve it anyway?

Cheers