[Community Project] WIP Weather & Water Shader

As an aside, is pretty cool:

is excellent and a great donation to the community. The example scenes are fantastic.

I have found : https://.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject/wiki/How-to-add-to-your-project

However, is there anything to explain how to customise the wave profiles and what needs to be edited? Just want to try out a few things before investing too much time in understanding the underlying system.

Hi George:

Did you manage to find a way to fix the fringing issues mate? would be greatly appreciated.

Kindly advise as time permits :slight_smile:

Cheers,

@intrus03 Hi there. Did you manage to make the work with TrueSky with the hint I gave you above? (post #2331 - https://.unrealengine.com/community/work-in-progress/17331-community-project-wip-weather–water-shader?p=1452255#post1452255)

Does anyone know how the NetWorkTimeOffset works?
In BP_Ocean the material parameter “NetworkTimeOffset” is being set. But I can’t find a usage of it in the material itself. Is even implemented?
Thanks.

I also can’t get it to package with the following error:

“D:-\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\BuoyantDestructibleComponent.cpp(83,22): error: use of undeclared identifier ‘ApexDestructibleActor’”

Using 4.19.1
Please help

Is it Apex plugin enabled? is a change made on recent engine versions which Apex now is a plugin instead a built-in , so as the project uses one, you need to enable Apex plugin now.

Thank you! I’ll try
EDIT: Apex plugin was already enabled…

Give me few min to package a quick project on 4.19 to see if happens.

I have just packaged successfully in 4.19.1, so Im not sure why yours are not. Try following steps bellow and see if changes the outcome, I repeated it here, so it is certain will not give you any other trouble:

• inside the project folder, delete the Binaries, Build and Intermediate folders
  • inside the plugins folder, enter OceanPlugin, and inside delete the Binaries and Intermediate folder
  • inside the project folder delete the .sln file
  • right click the .uproject and choose Generate Visual Studio Project files
  • once it is completed double click the .uproject and confirm the rebuild of the two DLLs asked.
  • try run in editor
  • if success, try to package for Windows again.

Hope any garbage preventing the build is gone and you succeed!

Hello!
Anyone can help me in an underwater scenario?
I have a glass dome and I would like create an underwater oceanarium scene where player can watch fish/shark within the dome.
If I correctly understand, the underwater effect created by a post process volume. (PP_Underwater)
Any solution to add underwater effect only outside of my dome?
As the thread is huge, a link to the answer also appreciated, if such an explanation already exists.
Thanks a lot!

Hi, fantastic , underwater, etc. Currently, i’m at page 157, wondering at which page there is information regarding how to use in my own terrain? i moved folder into my content folder, but the doesn’t look as nice as the default map’s. and i don’t know how to set up under water. thanks.

@BigaC if you check previous posts I have made a video showing exactly . Pag 150 post 2249

Hi there,

seems you have successfully set up the , could you briefly describe how did you set up the under water bp and water swim volume? when i copied paste those from , i noticed BP_SunVectorUpdater and BP_Underwater weren’t copied along with the rest (I copied everything in , Sky, etc. folder onto my project upon deleting skydome etc). i manually copied those 2 onto the scene. put BP_Underwater beneath the thirdperson and WaterSwimVolume around it, but it is empty underneath the ? Thanks.

Also, anybody shed some light on how to set up the skydome? i drag drop and the dome is divided to half dusk half daytime/morning. Thanks.

@doggy90402

These are the steps you need to take for the setup in a new project, follow them consistently:

• create a C++ Project (can be any type: 3rd person, 1st person, none of them)
  • exit the visual studio
  • exit UE4 editor and open the in editor
  • the folder, right-click on it and select Migrate… with the windows opened select the project you created before and point to its Content folder
  • exit UE4 editor
  • inside the folder copy the folder called Plugins and paste it inside the project folder you created before
  • enter the project folder you created before, right click on the file with extension .uproject, select Generate Visual Studio Project files
  • wait the conclusion
  • open your project
  • the last step now, is that you need to enable the Plugin, restart the editor as asked and you are ready to go
    Now finally you can go ahead:
    create a landmass, drag the BP_Ocean to your scene, lights, and everything should work fine.

Hi Nilson,

thanks a lot for the step by step guide. i was following your reply (has to be a C++ project) on another page and :
https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/…o-your-project
and got result. as you can see, my is never be the surface, my problem is the skydome is split into half, and while i put water swim volume and under water bp on, i cannot see post processing effect like under water color changing etc. however the character isn’t going to fall into oblivion, he can walk in the air and slowly stop, so something is working.

i followed your guide step by step. i can drag the BP_Ocean into my scene of course, but that just makes BP_Ocean show up in my world outliner right? How about the under water bp? While i drag under water bp into my editor, the character falls.

Another silly question is where is water swim volume? i got it because i copied from OceanProject’s world outliner to my project. But it is not in the OceanProject content folder, nowhere to copy from?
Thanks a lot.

The picture helped a lot:

• for the skydome: it is conflicting with Sky_Sphere_BP, therefore you need to choose between the two (just delete one of the instances) as they do the same thing but with different qualities.
  • water volume: it is a physics volume and in the details it is marked as Water volume. Ckeck left panel with Volumes tab.
  • for the underwater effect: in the PP_Global or the name you have choosen for your volume, you need to add in the section Rendering Features (details) the PostProcess Materials and include the M_Underwater_PP_Inst there. The volume must also be set as Unbound in the details
  • You will still need to mark the correct options in BP_Underwater to see everything correctly

Let me know if the info helped.

Hi Nilson,

Thank you very much. That helps massively. After comparing my settings with one of the OceanProject map, i figured it out a bit. Currently PP_Global is set to unbounded and its PostProcess Materials Array value is set to nothing. Created PP_Underwater as a child to BP_Underwater, set PP_Underwater’s PostProcess Materials Array to instance 2, NOT set it to unbound, referred it in BP_Underwater. however the underwater color changed only when the character jumps into PP_Underwater’s scope LOL
i am new so still have a lot to figure out, such as 1 the snow falls through the surface into under water,
2 didn’t know why the OceanProject map’s PP_Underwater is so small and not set to unbounded but it makes on the whole underwater space
3 upon rotating sunlight, refreshing skydome, can see the nighttime scene, milky way, etc but when click on Play, it goes back to daytime.
Thanks again.

@doggy90402

Keep in mind that the whole solution was at 1st being designed for , so weather is something @EvoPulseGaming is working to provide in his own project, contact him about the features for weather.

There is no need to attach the postprocess into BP_Underwater, but if you check the details for BP_Underwater, there is a field to place the postprocess there, actually you can supply the same postprocess since in the two fields asking for one. The postprocess as unbound will not limit the extent for the effect inside the volume.

Since the solution scope is wide, to be perfectly able to understand whats going on, it is necessary play with settings for each BP and observe in editor and also running in editor. The underwater effect controlled by BP_Underwater deals with three in the material: fog, lens distortion and wet lens, which you can choose which one to play in the BP_Underwater and thats why the blueprint exists in the 1st place.

If you are using the sky_dome blueprint (not the Sky_Sphere one) the Sun it is driven by time, so unless you change the time in the blueprint you will get back to it. automatic drive is not present in the Sky_Sphere one.

It takes some time to dissect how each thing works, but it is very interesting and provides a lot of insights on how things works in Unreal.