Character Movement Component is Causing Bad Performance

Any complexity to the world will add some more weight, but generally unless you’re using static meshes instead of foliage/instanced meshes it shouldn’t be this bad. Are the trees placed via foliage or are they instanced SMs?

I placed them using the foliage editor menu but I didn’t turn them into foliage actors. I just dragged the tree into the foliage menu and painted it from there

Oof. Painting SM’s will def hurt. Last time I did this (quite awhile ago) you couldn’t even delete them. They have to be foliage actors.

I’m so confused. I dragged the mesh from the content browser into the foliage tool (see below). In the outliner, all my foliage is grouped into one object. Is that not correct?

Did they get converted to foliage SMs?

No. Mine’s blue and says Static Mesh

Try making a copy of the level, going in to the copy, creating a foliage SM and applying one of your trees to it. Then erase the old trees, and try the new ones and test that level’s complexity. I thought the foliage system automatically swapped them to instanced SMs when you chose SM in paint mode but I could be wrong so we should give it a test.

Okay I’m pretty sure I’m almost there. Turns out one of my tree meshes was causing the issue. I’m not sure why, but it was causing navigation problems, so I deleted it and replaced it with another tree mesh. Now the game runs like a dream in the editor and in the debug game package. My only problem is the shipping build. I get 150 fps in debug game and 50 fps in shipping. It’s possible that that’s being caused by something else, but I’m not sure how to check because all my debugging tools are missing in shipping.

Hey @dudebat923!

I found a step by step guide for debugging packaged projects that may prove useful to you. Check out this non-Epic affiliated tutorial:

I hope you figure out what is causing your performance issues!

1 Like

I’ve seen that! It’s a great video. The only problem is that he uses the debug package, not the shipping one, and my problem only occurred in shipping. It’s all good though because I think I fixed it.

Hey everyone,

I think I’ve got it all sorted out. I changed the RHI from DirectX12 to DirectX11. I don’t really understand what that means, but now I have 100-120 fps on my computer. It only dips into the 80s and 90s when I look at the campfire in the middle of the map. I chalk that up to it being a particle system. That’s no big deal at all. Thank you all for your help. @SupportiveEntity you have especially put a lot of work into helping me for almost a month, and I greatly appreciate it. If anyone cares I may put a link to the finished game in here when it’s ready (should only be a few days). Thanks again for everything!

2 Likes

No worries! Glad it’s running now! RHI is basically how your project is rendering. So if it’s DX12 you can use Nanite/Lumen etc. If it’s DX11 you won’t be able to use those things but it will be lighter and easier to run on older hardware. There’s been a fun timeframe recently where Shader model 6 and DX12 are causing graphical crashes. If you had nanite foliage that was improperly setup it could have caused that issue before. Also, we’d love to see the game when it comes out! Remember to post in the showcase section!

For anyone who is interested, here is the final project: Slender Reawakened by Tyler Barrett

2 Likes